• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone else tired of software companies neglecting mac users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
hi guys. Figured this is the only place where others would understand my frustration!

Anyone here do 3D modeling? if you checkout www.maxwellrender.com ull see some nice photos. yea, those are all 3D. And their release client just came out. Said for mac, lin, win. Guess what. Win only. Thus far they only take care of the windows version, havent touched the mac beta in 6 months

so then we go over to www.guitar-pro.com. Was told newest version in September of this year. Ok, then told, win version November, mac version BEFORE new years. Now im being told mac version SOMETIME may 2006.

Oh, and Discreet/Autodesk, wheres Combustion 4? Its been out for windows going on a year now. Still optimizing for G5? We were told shipping began in May 2005. Im not seeing it. Combustion 3 is so unstable and SLOW on osx.

FontLab. 5.0 for win has been out awhile, mac we still use 4.6, and a few features flatout say in the manual "inactive"

I dont know about you guys, im sure you have other examples. I use guitar pro to write songs, and learn songs when time is a factor. because of their neglect to mac users, i had to pull a small dell out of storage to waste more deskspace, just to play with those songs. Luckily my monitor has 2 inputs. If they didnt have such a large repository of already made songs, id move on to another program like SIbelius or harmony assistant

And i told a few clients amazing renders would be coming soon, like that of maxwell. Now theyre PO'd like no other. I know a few other fellow CG artists are threatening to bring a lawsuit against next limit for false advertisement.

Am i alone here? why is it we get screwed like this? we have a nicer OS, better hardware, more stability....sure the population runs windows, but why bother promising both releases, then screwing us over when we've been expecting/NEEDING certain software.

[/RANT]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, I have never had a problem finding software. There are always alternatives that do the same job, and work with the Windows counterparts. Use Maya for 3D, GarageBand and Live for guitar recording....etc.
The fact that some companies are working on porting programs to Mac is a good thing. I would rather have a setback or an extension on the release date, then get a program "on time" and have it be buggy and slow. And for the beta versions, they are just that....beta.

And besides, even if there isn't a quality alternative or affordable one...this is why I don't limit myself to only one type of OS or computer. Like its been said on this forum and many others several times....use the best tool for the job.

B

badmojo

I think this is another reason that Apple's moving to the Intel proc. My guess is you're going to see a lot more cross-platform development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There won't need to be cross-platform development, that is the point. If you can run WinXP inside MacOSX virtually (which is where Apple is going), then you can run all of the XP software, and it will be on a native (Intel) chip. Reportedly the virtual Windows OS will run at between 80 and 90% of the speed of the real thing (Windows on a PC), pretty good when compared to VPC. The process is supposed to be similar to running MacOS Classic virtually on OSX now.

S

supremeoverlord

I do not want to use XP programs, and probably most OSX users won't either. Firstly they are as ugly as sin! Usually their UI is horrible looking and not much better performing. XP users put up with it thats why they don't change. Hopefully OSX users will see that crap and say "no thanks" and use native OSX apps.
UGLY=BAD

Reaction score
baggss said:
Reportedly the virtual Windows OS will run at between 80 and 90% of the speed of the real thing (Windows on a PC)

Where did you hear about this?

It doesn't surprise me that some companies ignore Mac OS. It takes a lot of time and effort to develope software. They can make just one version that can be used by 90% of desktops. If it is a program that probably isn't going to sell a whole lot of copies regardless of platform, then it would make sense that if you could only afford to develope it for one, that one would be Windows. I wouldn't expect a company to make a really bad business decision just to me nice to the Mac guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was an article on OSO a few months back about Apple working on the ability to run Windows virtually within MacOS. There was also another article (HERE) about them working on a fast user switching like technique that would allow you to run multiple OS's simultaneously on the box and switch between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be surprises, you never know. I mean, you can dual boot most PCs now between Win and Linux, adding the capability within MacOS to recognize differing partitions and managing memory (LOTS of memory) should not be all that hard. I don't expect it would be that hard on the forthcoming Intel Macs..

Reaction score
I don't doubt that you'll be able to dual boot pretty easy, but running 2 operating systems at the same time, not using emulation, is just vaporware at this point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.