Movie File Won't Play in Quick Time After Renaming It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly, I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and Quick Time X 10.2 on an iMac. I have the DivX, Perian and Flip4Mac codecs installed (although after installing Mountain Lion there have been compatibility issues with Perian, which a lot users are having based on the forums I have read).

I have downloaded a TV series which is currently playing fine on Quick Time X 10.2, however as soon as I change the file name from it's original download name:

"Law.and.Order.SVU.S13E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL.[VTV].avi"

to the name that I want to change it to:

"S13E01.avi"

I get the error message:

The document "S13E01.avi" could not be opened. The file may be damaged or may not be a movie file that is compatible with QuickTime player.

The file is compatible with QuickTime as it plays before I changed the file name.

Also, half of the files in this season are ".avi" and the other half are ".mp4". If I change the filename of the ".mp4" it still plays in QuickTime as normal.

It is only the ".avi" files that I am having problems with.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.