Backup questions

Reaction score
I'm currently beefing up my backup strategies, as well as looking to upgrade OS X (currently 10.5) to at least Snow Leopard and maybe Lion. I have a 2009 Mac mini with one external HDD always attached and one for Time Machine that I stick in our safe.

I've just signed up for CrashPlan, and I use Time Machine when I remember. I'm considering getting SuperDuper or CCC and a new external HDD.

My question: with the new HDD, can I set it up so SuperDuper or CCC has a partition, and so does TM? Can I then clone my mini HDD (120gb) to one partition and have TM save all the files on my external HDD (photos, movies, etc.) to the other partition? Could I then restore from the clone partition if my internal fails, and copy over my photos, etc., if my external fails? I thought this would cover both current HDD's on one new HDD, since it's unlikely that both my current drives would die at the same time.

Thanks for the help!
Brian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That should work nicely. I am doing something similar. Data is backed up to an external drive attached to my Time Capsule. The system is backed up to a different drive. What you want to do should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.