• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone here use a Keurig brewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
For those having hard water issues you might want to think about a filtered water solution so your pot does not gum up so fast. We use a Britta water pitcher that filters a pitcher at a time and it is great for pouring into the coffee pot and cutting down the hard water residue.

I have had mixed results on the K-cups, still looking into a cheap (and easy) way to do the cup part myself. But I still miss a good brewed pot of coffee. On the other hand, I still remember when my parents got their first drip coffee pot and swore it was the spawn of satan and didn't quite taste as good as percolated coffee.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have had mixed results on the K-cups, still looking into a cheap (and easy) way to do the cup part myself.

I happened to be in a CVS store yesterday and saw those "As seen on TV" brewer cups that are reusable. I believe a set of four was only $10.00 which is a good price considering how much those Keurig or similar pods cost. I use a Melita single cup brewer which is manual all the way but makes a great cup of coffee. I also have a Starbucks single cup coffee brewer which works well but a pain to clean.

Reaction score
Yup, we love it. Really wish someone would come out with Espresso K-Cups though. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
I have had one going since Oct 2011 but was warned when I first purchased they typically last about a year. So Im pleasantly surprised with mine. We have very hard water so I have to use bottled water and I hate that I must buy those jugs. I know I can go the Brita route but just havent.

I have also always been a conniseuier of flavored coffee, would buy gourmet beans from specialty shops. Have tried all k cup flavored ones and they are the worst tasting coffee I have ever tasted. I do have the little thingy that allows you to use your own coffee but too much trouble.

I also worry about the cancer causing ability that the plastic the kcups are made with. But (sigh) I keep on using the Keurig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have to clean mine with a paper clip every month or so. mine makes about 3-4 cups a day. I think to acknowlege the problem and come up with a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5-inch, Mid 2011, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, OS X 10.8 (12A269)
I bought my first Keurig in summer 2009. I only just replaced it with a gifted Platinum Plus this past Christmas. My old one was still working fairly well, so I donated it to my Sister-in-law.
Aside from routine descales, I only noticed a design flaw where the sensor that tells the brewing pump to push water through the K-kup would not engage with the handle all the way down. My guess is that over time, the operating of the handle caused wear on the hinge allowing the sensor connection to go past its zero. I overcame this by gently applying a little pressure back up on the handle after closing it. This seemed to solve the issue for me.
Knowing this going in on my new one, I have made a conscious effort to be easy on the clam shell as I close it so it will hopefully not cause wear on the hinge as quickly... only time will tell.

All things considered, I love the brewers.
Also, consider getting a My-K-Kup from the Keurig site... These let you load your own (which I have been doing for about 2.5 years after growing tired of paying for K-kups). I load Seattle's Best #4 and have a fantastic up of coffee on demand...

Thats my $0.02,
Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.