iMac Build

Reaction score
Hello all. After searching and browsing forever, I have decided to just ask. I have a Core 2 Duo black Macbook that has the RAM and hard drive upgraded. I no longer have a need for a notebook; now that I have an ipad the Macbook never leaves the desk. I've looked at selling it, but it's honestly not worth much because of its age. My question is this, could I buy an iMac that is missing internals but has a working screen, and put the internals from my Macbook into it? I'm not concerned with the performance of it; my Macbook handles everything I do fine. I would just like the screen size of the iMac without paying for a new or used one. Thanks in advance for any help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is this, could I buy an iMac that is missing internals but has a working screen, and put the internals from my Macbook into it?

MacBooks & iMacs (of the same vintage) do use the same ram…but you would have to do your research to make sure that the USED iMac you would buy uses the same ram as your MacBook.

iMac's use a 3.5" hard drive…and MacBooks use a 2.5" hard drive (different sizes). So unless you can find a special bracket to be able to install the smaller 2.5" HD into the larger iMac's HD spot…then no…the HD's would not be swappable (at least not appropriately swappable).

I would just like the screen size of the iMac without paying for a new or used one.

If your MacBook is working fine…and you just want a larger display…why not just use an external monitor with you MacBook? That's what that "video-out" port on your MacBook is for.;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
If your MacBook is working fine…and you just want a larger display…why not just use an external monitor with you MacBook? That's what that "video-out" port on your MacBook is for.;)

- Nick

I think I may just go that route. Any particular monitor you would recommend for me? I looked into the Apple displays and they are high! Those Cinema Displays are going for between $500 and $800. The iMacs that I had looked at to swap my internals into were between $150 and $300.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I may just go that route. Any particular monitor you would recommend for me? I looked into the Apple displays and they are high! Those Cinema Displays are going for between $500 and $800. The iMacs that I had looked at to swap my internals into were between $150 and $300.

Just because you have an Apple computer doesn't mean you must use an Apple monitor. All you need to do is purchase just about any "modern" monitor...with probably a DVI port (or maybe HDMI).

You should be able to purchase a decent 22" monitor for around $100-$125...or even less used from Craig's List.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Awesome thanks Nick! I actually just checked and my bedroom lcd tv (which never gets used) has the dvi on it. Gonna see how that works out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome thanks Nick! I actually just checked and my bedroom lcd tv (which never gets used) has the dvi on it. Gonna see how that works out.

You will probably need a video adapter to connect your MacBook to your TV. You need to figure out what video-out port your MacBook has...then get the appropriate video adapter.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.