OPINION TIME!! - MBP 15-inch: 2.6 GHz Retina display, s/s HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to mention, started in 1985
Been long enough in operator hands to get critical feedback on these new machines.
For those of us ready to plunk down $3500 plus for a laptop, well not just any old laptop, I would appreciate some feedback from those brave enough to already be swimming in those deep waters.
Is as fast as they say?
Is it robust, crash prone?
Startup time improved?
Enough RAM for a busy desktop?
Processor handle complex 3D apps (Sketchup)?
10.8.1 behaving as promised?
Retina too good?
And anything else that stands out would be a help.
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10=meets or exceeds expectations) you'd call it a:___

Congodog sends large thanks in front!

Reaction score
Is it as fast? - to me it seems really fast. i notice the speed when processing videos, editing RAW pictures, and doing all the things i do on my comp
is it robust? crash prone? well, i would say it is pretty stable. i'll put a cons section at the end though
startup time - ya mine boots in about 10 or so seconds. its pretty slick! i can fully restart computer and be up and running same speed within a minute!
RAM - i said since this is HARDWIRED on to the logicboard, just get 16gb to you don't have to worry about it later.
processor for handling complex things - i don't know much about 3d apps, but i do photoshop, final cut pro, video encoding, etc. it does a very solid job of this stuff.
10.8.1 works fine
retina is good but there is a problem on many of the screens regarding Image retention - i'm having this issue as well and will be going to an authorized apple service company to see if they can change it up. there are two screen versions, one made by LG, one made by samsung. mine was made by lg, and they seem to be more prone to image retention issues...
Other things - Having hdmi is very nice, usb 3.0 is a HUGE bonus. no cd is meh... i would just get an external bluray if i needed one... placing the two usb slots on either side of the computer is finally here!! took apple long enough, but now my bigger usb things actually fit on the computer at the same time.
Scale of 1 to 10 - 8.5.. will go to a 9.5 if i can get my image retention issues resolved. its actually quite bad right now...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.