macmail

Reaction score
newbie here and in the SWITCH. quick background. bought a macbook pro with 250 ssd. not enough space just to move my pc over. so i removed the super drive and installed a 500gig hdd. before migrating my info from the pc to the mac i set up some emails on the mac ssd. on the pc i was using pop3 accounts and when i moved to the mac i used imap. did not really fully understand the difference at the time. since i have migrated MANUALLY all my pc data to the 500hdd. could not get migration assistant to see the 2nd drive. then i went back and used migration assistant to move the mail from my pc to my mac. not really sure where it currently resides.
so on to the problem. today i realized that the imap only looks at the messages on the server. since my pc is still looking at mail on the serve and deleteing it fter it is 5 days old then i notice it is falling off of the mac. so now i only have 5 days worth of email on the mac. i want to wipe all the mail off the mac and start fresh by importing all the PC mail, it is still there and i need to see it and have it all available on the mac. i now understand that POP3 stores the mail locally on the hard drive. i've read the introductory indo on the switchers site and it seems to encourage going with the mac flow, which i'd like to do. is imap the mac flow or is pop3? if imap then how do i maintain all the mail without loosing it and still have my pc be able to see it for the time being. also how do i wipe all the email from the mac and start again. will it just import the pc email boxes as POP3?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
IMAP and POP3 are not Mac or PC specific..so in your case it probably makes sense to setup a second IMAP account on your PC and transfer all the mail from your POP3 account to it. Now you should see all of those emails on your Mac..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.