cannot access back up on Time Capsule

Reaction score
HI there,

I could really do with some help here. I have just backed up my MacBook Pro on my new 2TB time capsule. It took 5 days to complete the back up and now that I want to see the backups on my capsule I cannot enter it.

What I can see is this: (see screenshots)

In the left hand menu in the "finder", under SHARED, I can see "my time capsule". It has a time capsule folder in it. In there, is a file My Name MacBook Pro. I cannot read it. (Its a Sparse Image Disk Bundle - dont know what that is but thats the kind of file it is)

Then in the left hand menu under DEVICES, I can Time Machine Backups. When I click on there, there is a folder called "backups. backupdb". In there I can see "my name macbook pro", and the dates of the backups completed.

I don't understand why this backup data is not on the actual time capsule. And I also dont understand the difference in my Finder between the two items, one of which shows me my backups, but doesnt appear to be the right device???

Hope someone can help me understand this.

Jen

Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.18.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.18.28 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't understand why you think they aren't on the Time Capsule. You followed the folder/file hierarchy properly. If you keep following the dated folders, you will see the backups of your MacBook. The folders are organized exactly as they are on your MacBook.

When you open the "yourname MacBook Pro" file, that is a disk image that mounts and acts as if it was a DVD. This is the virtual disk that you are seeing in your second screenshot. It mounts with the name "Time Machine Backups". It is all on the Time Capsule.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Lifeisabeach,

Thanks for much for explaining that to me. That is very helpful.

I have an additional question in that case. So the backup is now all sorted. Excellent. I notice I can drag items to the Time Capsule too.

I have an external HDD that is plugged into the Time Capsule, and as a result, is not part of the Time Machine backup (cos the data is external only) Could I occassional drag the contents of the eHDD to the Time Capsule and hence create a double copy of the data?

Thanks so much for your time in responding to me. Its very much appreciated.

Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi Lifeisabeach,

Thanks for much for explaining that to me. That is very helpful.

I have an additional question in that case. So the backup is now all sorted. Excellent. I notice I can drag items to the Time Capsule too.

I have an external HDD that is plugged into the Time Capsule, and as a result, is not part of the Time Machine backup (cos the data is external only) Could I occassional drag the contents of the eHDD to the Time Capsule and hence create a double copy of the data?

Thanks so much for your time in responding to me. Its very much appreciated.

Yes. I've actually done something similar. Put it in the first folder labeled "Time Capsule" so it's next to "yourname MacBook Pro".

Rather than simply dragging the contents over though, I recommend using one of two tools: SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Use it to clone that drive to a new disk image (use the read/write "sparse bundle" option) on the Time Capsule. Once that has been done, then in the future either of these apps can simply update that image with files that have changed. It will save a LOT of time updating that backup in the future.

CCC used to be free, but now is trialware. SuperDuper is free only for making the images. To update them with only changed files, you have to register it. Of the two, CCC has the advantage of letting you exclude certain files/folders if you choose, but otherwise SuperDuper has a more compact interface and gives good explanations of the choices you can make.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.