Using Mac to hook up ps3 help! I am a newb

Reaction score
So I have a problem. In my room at school there is no wired connection (the contractors messed up so there is no way to connect and they assume it won't be ready until next year). This means they only way I can connect my ps3 to the network is wirelessly (which is no problem considering there is built in wifi right? Nope wrong. The network security is 802.1x or whatever).

I have seen some ways to connect my mac to the wall and then share the connection wirelessly for my ps3... but like I said... there is no wired connection here. So what I want to do is use the wireless network at school for my computer and then use a cable (ethernet or crossover whichever I need) to connect the ps3 through my macbook. Anyone know how to do this? I am relatively computer illiterate... so if you can give me a good step by step I would appreciate it forever!!!

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your Mac can connect to the Wireless network, then so can your PS3, but if that isn't working for you then this post will help you: How to Share Your Wireless Internet Connection Via Ethernet | Mac|Life

But if you elaborate more about what network issues you are having we can probably help you get both the Mac and PS3 connected through WiFi..

OP
Z
Reaction score
The problem getting it on the network is that there is nowhere to input the password for the 802.1x security. I have talked with the people at our schools IT building and they basically said the only way I could get it on was to use my mac as a router. They tried to figure that out for an hour and then gave up so I put this post on the forum. Thanks for that link! I will check it out as soon as I get back to my apartment and see if it works!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nowhere to input the password (WPA/WEP/WPA2) on your PS3 you mean? That's strange..since the setup here (PlayStation® Knowledge Center | Answer) tells you how to enter the network information onto the PS3 to get onto the network...

OP
Z
Reaction score
There is nowhere to put in an 802.1x password. Our security requires our school username and password to be put in. There is nowhere to do that. The password options that are there won't work. Ps3 doesn't support 802.1x

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's a different case..most 802.11 networks are secured purely with a WEP/WPA2 security hash, but if your school is using an additional proxy or username/password combination, then yes the PS3 will not support that as it's non-standard..

So your only option is to use the Ethernet sharing in the blog post I linked to above..

OP
Z
Reaction score
the guide that you posted doesn't let me know what setting to put on the ps3. So now I know how to turn internet sharing on on the computer but I can't get my ps3 online using the connection. There are some guides online that show how to do it if I am using an ethernet cable to get internet on my mac and then using airport to share the connection with the ps3 but none that show me how to get internet wirelessly and then share it via ethernet cable with my ps3. If anyone has any tips that would be great or even another forum that may be more appropriate for what I am trying to do.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't have to do anything apart from connecting the Ethernet cable from the PS3 to the Mac to get things to work.

The PS3 should be already configured for DHCP..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.