Macbook Pro 12 to HD TV, screen is black.

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

My girlfriend has a Macbook Pro 12 and a Vizio HDTV. I bought here a mini display port to hdmi adapter and an hdmi cable. When we plug it in the macbook pro screen goes blue, and the vizio recognizes that there is a signal. The TV will just turn black and the Macbook will go back to normal. I am a windows guy so this is where I get confused. I went through system preferences just like I read in other posts and then to displays. I hit detect displays and both showed up. However, I then clicked Mirror Displays so that I could see the Macbook screen pop up on the TV but nothing changed. I tried the tv on my laptop at different resolutions using the same HDMI cable and it worked fine. This is probably something really easy and I am just missing it so I apologize in advance for not being able to figure it out myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest the display port to HDMI adapter is faulty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.