Cursor problem

Reaction score
Since I upgraded to Mountain Lion and Safari 6.0, My cursor keeps disappearing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As a retired Apple Tech.... you know that we need more information in order to to help you. Model and year of your Mac?

Also, have you tried going to System Preferences, Accessibility, and enlarge the cursor to see if it made a difference?

OP
Z
Reaction score
It's a mid 2010 iMac. The problem is intermittent, and only seems to happen with Safari. If I move the mouse around, and click outside the Safari window, it comes back. The cursor is still active, because when I mouse over a tab, I can close a tab or activate a link, but the cursor is not visible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have any Safari Plug Ins installed, disable them temporarily to see if that helps. Also, you can try resetting Safari from the main menu but be careful when you do. Remove the checks from the items you do not wish to be reset like bookmark icons.

And last of all, download another browser to see if the problem occurs there also. Chrome, Firefox, and Opera all have nice browsers for OS X.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I had already done the reset and I have the other browsers. I have removed and disabled other stuff. I had removed some before, but was hoping someone had a silver bullet. Thanks.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, but unlike yours (or any other posts I've seen), I can not bring back the cursor in any way (moving to it to the dock, clicking outside a window, enter mission control or launchpad, etc). The only way I can get it back is by rebooting the Mini (2012 model - or at least the latest one).
The mouse is still working as I can see activity on the monitor when I move my finger around on the track pad (the dock raises, etc.)

It has never happened untill yesterday when it happened three times. The only difference is that I upgraded to the latest version of flash player. I see in other forums that people suspect Photoshop to be the culprit, and I do suspect that flash player is at least a part of the problem. Since last night I exited Safari after using the Mini, and so far the mouse cursor has been here.

chscag, I consider myself pretty much tech literate after being a *nix administrator for 14 years. I didn't find anything in /var/log when grepping for mouse, but then again I don't know the process name (or even if it is a process at all). Can you tell me if it is a process and the name of it? If so I can search the logs to see if I find anything, and HUP the process to see if it brings the cursor back.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Photoshop is not causing my problem, as I don't have it. It seems to happen more often if I use the smart zoom. I have turned that off for the time being to test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.