Streaming Netflix from iMac to TV

Reaction score
Hi Folks! I am one of those tech dinosaurs buying my first computer two years ago! (I've got an iMac w/ OS X 10.6.8.) I recently bought a Denon 3312ci to access iTunes and Internet radio etc. through my audio system.

I thought I would also be able to stream Netflix through this system to my TV. I saw a post here dated 2011 that seems to indicate Apple TV is needed to stream Netflix to the TV. I had thought Apple TV was only if you wanted wireless connectivity. I have an ethernet cable from router to receiver and HDMI from receiver to TV.

My questions: Do I need an Apple TV to stream Netflix? From that 2011 post it mentioned a PS3 console is Netflix ready, could I use that somehow?

Or do I go that DVI/miniDVI/HDMI cable from iMac to TV?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

jay (wishing there was a Geek in my family)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are TVs that have Netflix built in, same for some smart DVD players, and XBOX 360 and PS3 and Roku box and on and on.

With Apple TV you'd have to start the streaming on your Mac and then send it to the Apple TV.

The cheapest thing to check out is s smart blu-ray player from Samsung or whatever, they have Netflix and other streaming services..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.