Monitoring Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Is there a way to monitor the status of Time Machine...like how far along it is, estimated time remaining, etc.?

I tried backing up to my 1TB G-Raid Mini via FireWire 800 and it just never finished. I started it yesterday morning and finally got tired of not knowing what was going on this morning and stopped it more than 24 hours later. Then when I tried to eject the G-Raid, it said it was being used by another program. I logged out and logged back in, and that took care of ejecting it. Now I'm trying to back up to a Western Digital 500GB Passport via USB 2.0. I have had issues with the G-Raid in the past, where my MacBook could no longer find it, and I took it to a "geek" who somehow revived it, so maybe it's a problem with the G-Raid.

Granted, it has been waaaaaaayyyy too long since my last backup (December!), but still, could this take more than 24 hours via FireWire 800? I know it is a big mistake to not back up weekly--I have no idea how or why I let it go this long. Anyway...

I am on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice!

Ok, never mind. I can see the progress bar moving now that I'm using the other HD. I guess it is in fact a problem with the G-Raid. What a shame. It's such a nice external hard drive and it matches my MacBook Pro :-( When I was using the G-Raid, the status bar just said something like, "Indexing" or something for the entire time, but the status bar never showed any progress.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.