Erratic Wi-Fi issues after installing Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

After installing Mountain Lion, I started having random WiFi problems. Firstly, I am currently using a mid 2009 Macbook Pro.

At home, I could connect to the WiFi without issues when I first started up the computer. The problem would only start after approximately 3 hours. There would be a network error stating that I have no internet connection. Looking up the network preferences would inform me that I have a Self Assigned IP. Turning on and off the wifi, renewing the DHCP lease, deleting Keychain stuff and restarting the router does not work. The only way to get the connection back is to reboot the computer. All my other devices connect to the internet with no issues at all during the same time period. FYI, my router is an Airport Express and it's using a WPA2 Personal as the security.

The problem is worse in school. I could not connect to the school network at all (school is using WPA2 Enterprise). There is no DHCP lease at all even thought my username and password is correct (verified by my school's IT department. they are rather new to the mac and have no solution to my problem). I tried reinstalling the wifi through network preferences, removing keychain entries, deleting some plist file, turning off all firewall and rebooting the system, but all I have is a "Self-Assigned IP" status from the network preferences.

Somehow, my windows (boot camp) can connect to the school's network with no issues, which means that this is not a case of faulty hardware or wrong password.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with this nagging problem.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you downloaded and installed the recent update to Mountain Lion? (10.8.1) It's available through software update from the MAS.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Problem is solved. Installed 10.8.2 beta release. No issues so far.

Thanks everyone for the help rendered!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just be careful with 10.8.2 which is meant for developer use and suggested to be used on a machine that they can blow away. Be sure you have a good backup for all of your documents just in case it decides to misbehave..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.