Set up new MacBook with Migration Assistant

Reaction score
All,

I purchased a new MacBook Pro Retina.

I want to transfer file/software, etc. from my old MacBook to the Retina and would like to use Migration Assistant. The main reason is the transfer of software which is horribly time consuming doing each from scratch. Is there a way to selective load software, just load what I want to load?

Understand the only option is firewire (need special cable?) or network (slower?)

My biggest concern is that I'm sure there is a LOT of corruption and bad files in the MacBook and would like to minimize them in the Retina.

Would the bulk of the bad files and corruption be in software files or my personal files? Or perhaps somewhere else?

Might I be wiser to reload the software? (which will take a day or so). Or is it possible to load some of the software using Migration? (I don't see an option for that).

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Migration assistant will load your files and programs, corruption shouldn't be an issue

For a faster connection, try hooking both together with an ethernet cable rather than wireless

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.