Outgoing email prob

Reaction score
Hope someone out there can help me, I am a Mac crazy Grandma and consider myself pretty computer literate BUT I am having big issues with outgoing email and it's driving me crazy.
I am on a 4 year old I mac running Leopard 10.5..8
Using Mac Mail a few months ago it started to say could not verify certificate of server, "click if you wish to go ahead" which I did.
Now I am having big issues-if I try to send email a window comes up saying could not connect to server, check passwords, settings. I know the password is correct.
I have to fiddle around with the edit server list and it usually says my account is offline.
If I then click none for server and go back to my mac.com account it suddenly sends.
Incidentally the same thing is happening on my Mac book pro which tells me it is not the computer.
Is this because of the switch from Mobile me to I cloud which obviously I am not running
as Apple as usual wants you to buy it's latest operating system! I was told there should not be a problem but there is . I would be so grateful if anyone can tell me how to resolve this. many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us which server you're using as your mail provider? This has popped up before for other users and one way of solving it (doesn't work for everyone) is to go to your email provider's server web site and change - enter a new password. Then go back to Apple Mail and change it there also making sure to save it to your "Keychain".

And how come you haven't upgraded Leopard to at least "Snow Leopard"?

OP
M
Reaction score
outgoing email

Thanks for reply I use Talk Talk who are usually pretty good, will do as you advise but don't think it is that as have O2 dongle which also throws up same problem.
Convinced it is to do with Moblle me going.
Re Snow Leopard, did upgrade, was not impressed so went back to Leopard.
Much as I love Apple I think they are ripping us off expecting us to keep changing every year

OP
M
Reaction score
Outgoing mail

Sorry think I misread your reply, my ISP is Talk Talk but the outgoing server is says SMTP.mac.com

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Re Snow Leopard, did upgrade, was not impressed so went back to Leopard.
Much as I love Apple I think they are ripping us off expecting us to keep changing every year

$29.99 for Snow Leopard is ripping you off? Lion = $30, Mountain Lion = $19.99. Compare that with XP, Vista, and Windows 7. ;)

As for your outgoing mail problem, as far as I know, you should still be able to use the @mac.com address. Although you might want to look for another mail provider in the future.

OP
M
Reaction score
email problems

Thanks to those who responded to my cry for help, have made progress with the help of an IT engineer friend. He thinks the problem is the end of Mobile me and change to to I cloud.
He has altered my outgoing server to me.com instead of mac.com and so far so good, seems to be working. Connection is a bit slower than it should be.
I pay for my mac.com email address and think it outrageous that Apple charges £35 for a support call. I don't want to go to Mountain Lion yet and feel Apple is really not treating it's loyal customers very well.
Would still be interested in any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Personally (not yet a mac user - will be in 2 days though when my MBP arrives) I think that Apple treats its customers well from what I've heard and read on mac forums. $30 or less for an OS upgrade is outstanding! Try getting close to that for a new release of Windows and you are SOL. Microsoft makes you pay money to get customer support if you need it. And try getting a replacement DVD of the OS and they refuse to help you. Or if your product key is not allowed to be used anymore due to multiple installations ON THE SAME COMPUTER! Nope they won't help you.

At least with Apple you can redownload the OS at no cost to you. It is a no brainer especially since you would rarely have to reinstall the OS.

If you have apple care I think the calls are free to support, at least here in the US. So you automatically get apple care in the first year of having your mac, then 2 more years if you purchase apple care when buying your computer... I can't see the downside.

You don't have to use Mac.com or Mobile Me or iCloud. You could simply get a FREE email address from gmail or yahoo or any of the free email providers... I use gmail and couldn't be happier with it. I use imap to download all of my messages from gmail.com and have never had a problem with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
email address

Re your last post, my email address is my business use one and is one thousands of my business cards, not an option to change it.
As far as the upgrades are concerned yes you do need to pay for it, certainly here in the UK. Apple charge for support if your machine is over a year which mine is.
At the moment I am sticking with Leopard and waiting to see what happens!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.