Software Update

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just curious about something. When I run a "software update" on my iMac...what does it actually check when checking for new available updates? Does it just check for updates that apple releases? like software/firmware updates? I am asking because, what if there is a new sound card driver available, or a new video card driver available? Does the software update check for those available updates? if not, how do I update those system hardware drivers??

Another question, is it even wise or necessary to update those drivers?

thanks to everyone in advance for any responses. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Software update checks for all Apple installed applications, system things, firmware, and of course drivers. It additionally checks updates for applications that you downloaded from the Mac App store. And yes, it's a good idea to install all updates. Always keep a current backup on hand so you won't have to worry about an update that might cause problems for your system. Use Time Machine or cloning software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.