Time Machine hard drive suddenly not there

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I just realized that my Time machine hard drive (External 1TB Buffalo FW800) will not connect to my MBP. Never shows up in finder. Tried USB cable...nothing. Tried connecting it to my PC (USB only) and it chimes as though connected but nothing shows up in explorer.

I'm about to upgrade to ML and not having an accessible backup is stressing me out.

Ideas?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like the drive may have died. Or, more likely the enclosure holding the drive has failed. The enclosure contains the interface electronics for firewire and USB and is probably where the failure occurred. If the drive does not contain any critical data and is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer and ask for a RMA.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I'm thinking that myself, but being more a PC guy than a Mac guy I was hoping for some secret I wasn't aware of...

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.