Request: Help/Advice for web service widget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi Guys!

Being an absolute scripting n00b myself, I'm not really sure about the best way to tackle a problem I'm having:

My mobile phone carrier has a site where you can check the amount of free minutes/text messages you have remaining.

However - for some reason I have trouble logging in with Safari, so I have to use Camino, which means I very rarely get round to doing it.
My g/f uses the same carrier and doesn't ever check her account, so she's just gone over her minute limit.

I would like to build a widget to automatically check this info for me and display it on my Dashboard... I imagine this shouldn't be toooo hard, since it is basically just logging in to a webpage, grabbing the results and display 2 numbers.

Any ideas/templates I could get started with?
Anyone already have a similar widget that could just be modified?

I know a bit of html, occasionally mess with Applescript, can modify a css sheet and customized a php guestbook once, but that's about the extent of my scripting capabilities.

This wouldn't be that custom either, as the carrier ePlus has many subscribers in Germany and I bet this could be adapted for other carriers as well...

So who wants to lend a hand?

:)

Thanks,

aptmunich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2

^These 2 sites have been helping me create my first widget. I'm slowly learning all that is necessary to create them. I've learned that it's quite a bit of Java scripting, which I really don't know much of...anywho....I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff, too, so I probably can't help you out too much, but take a look at those and good luck! :mac:

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks, I'll take a glance and see what I can rustle up myself :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.