"Clean installing" (?) Mountain Lion onto my MacBook.

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

New here :) My name's Daniel, I'm a 19 year old singer/songwriter studying music. I am anything but tech-savvy.

Small intro aside, I'm currently using Snow Leopard on an i7 13" MacBook Pro I bought last July. It came with Snow Leopard and later on I bought Lion from the App Store and upgraded. It didn't run as nicely after that - boot up and shut down times were slower, and my ram would always drop down to 5-10mb free from the littlest things like web browsing. So I used the SL cd that came with the computer and wiped the hard drive, reinstalled Snow Leopard.

Anyway, I've got an iPad and an iPhone now and would like to try out all this cloud stuff. Which means I have an excuse to give Mountain Lion a shot, right? How would I go about doing a completely clean, fresh install again, since there's no disc? Maybe there are some step by step instructions somewhere?

Thanks for any help,
Daniel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2
read the sticky - here- it guides you through making a bootable DVD/USB

oops (edit) link is out of date ... try - here

OP
D
Reaction score
read the sticky - here- it guides you through making a bootable DVD/USB

oops (edit) link is out of date ... try - here

Thanks for the link. So by doing this, the flash drive will work exactly like the cd I have experience with? I might have already read another link, but I'd just like to confirm - an 8gb drive should be enough? And how would I be able to revert it back to a normal'ol flash drive (and not an os installer)?

Any advantages of doing this over using a DVD?

And last question from me for the night: Is there a link that could instruct me on the proper way to completely wipe the hard drive and start like new when I'm installing mountain lion? The last time I did it, I remember seeing lots of this and that about partitions and journaled that doesn't mean anything to me. I'd much more appreciate it if there were a guide that spoon fed me which options to select.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2
there is no advantage to using a USB over a DVD other than a every Mac has a USB port and not a DVD drive. 8gb is plenty and just format the USB when you're done.

A good guide is - here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.