• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Jury finds Samsung guilty of infringing Apple's patents, awards Apple more than $1 bi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Warning: Do NOT go reading through Android threads/forums. That's a warning! You thought people hated Apple before, you've don't know what's coming. They will always skew results to favor their argument, even though this is a court decision.

I wonder how much total $$$$$$$$$ this process has cost Apple so far?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not surprising, recently a South Korean court found Samsung not guilty of copying Apple patents to the iPhone. Of course their finding doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I wonder how much total $$$$$$$$$ this process has cost Apple so far?

Don't even think about it, lawyers are making more than brain surgeons nowadays. ;)

Reaction score
Whoooohooo!

I know, there are the other side including if Apple gets all they want there would be no cheap(er) imitations.

But as an engineer, it's the principle, YOU DO NOT STEAL MY COOL STUFF. Everybody knows if it wasn't for Apple, there would be no touch screen (or a lousy facsimile), no gesture, no cool tooo-eing spring effect as one scrolls. Without Apple, how many times the other guys tried to make a tablet?

Google, hope u got the message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
This stuff is getting old. CEO's with pistols at dawn and be done with it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They will always skew results to favor their argument, even though this is a court decision.
And we don't? The problem of bias is never endemic only to selective communities. This is especially salient with court decisions since there is always the appeals process.

Everybody knows if it wasn't for Apple, there would be no touch screen (or a lousy facsimile), no gesture, no cool tooo-eing spring effect as one scrolls.
No we don't. Touch screens? They've been around for ages. In fact, HP built a touchscreen computer back in 1983 (here). Gestures? They were developed back in the 80s at the University of Toronto. Inertia scrolling? Sun did it 1992. Apple invented nothing in that list you provided. This is why it's important to separate invention from commercial success.

As for the topic itself, like every patent debate everywhere in the industry, this will be appealed, go nowhere, magically disappear from the news and will end with an undisclosed settlement in which the landscape of innovation won't change in the slightest. A victory for Apple? Sure. Will this change anything? Not a bit. Even if Samsung has to pay out the billion, they can absorb it without even blinking. Being the largest mobile phone maker in the world has its perks sometimes (here, here).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm really not surprised. Initially, I was actually kinda hoping Apple would lose at least in part... I really feel they need a little humility. But as I followed the trial, and the mountains of evidence piled on (I mean really... the engineer conclusions as they compared features was to "make it more like Apple"), you'd have to be dense to think they weren't copying Apple deliberately. One can argue whether or not any company should be able to patent the things they do, but that's irrelevant. Fact is they can and Apple is obligated to defend them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I'm really not surprised. Initially, I was actually kinda hoping Apple would lose at least in part... I really feel they need a little humility. But as I followed the trial, and the mountains of evidence piled on (I mean really... the engineer conclusions as they compared features was to "make it more like Apple"), you'd have to be dense to think they weren't copying Apple deliberately. One can argue whether or not any company should be able to patent the things they do, but that's irrelevant. Fact is they can and Apple is obligated to defend them.

I agree and well said.

Reaction score
No we don't. Touch screens? They've been around for ages. In fact, HP built a touchscreen computer back in 1983 (here). Gestures? They were developed back in the 80s at the University of Toronto. Inertia scrolling? Sun did it 1992. Apple invented nothing in that list you provided. This is why it's important to separate invention from commercial success.

Of course some of these things been around, but not good enough for the general public to want to keep using them. So exactly, commercial success = Apple perfected the technology, and they should be rewarded for the effort. Everybody knows, if takes 20% effort to make something work, but another 80% to make it work cool.

I dunno why Google with all its resources, has to imitate Apple.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So because Apple "perfected" it, they have the right to litigate? I'm not saying Apple doesn't have valid patents here (obviously they do) but you can't say that perfecting a technology gives someone the right to sue because who's to say that Apple has perfected anything? Again, you can't conflate things - commercial success does not equal perfection. Instead, commercial success equals "the best thing around that is easy and reasonable priced." Nothing is ever perfected in engineering and if people believed that products had been perfected, we'd still be using 100 year old technology (since no one would have improved upon then perfect technology).

Google imitating Apple? Sure but it works both ways. iOS's notification system? Yeah, Android had that down well before Apple implemented an almost identical system. Cloud syncing with iCloud? Google baked in syncing well before iCloud was released. Over the air updates? Google did it first. iMessage? That looks a lot like RIM's BBM (not necessarily in quality but in the idea). Tabbed browsing for mobile browsers? Apple was late to the game on that one. The borrowing seeps into OS X as well. The new "smart search" in Safari? Google put that in Chrome ages ago. The new "tab view" in Safari? Chrome had "tab overview" implemented quite a while ago.

I'm not trying to make the argument that Google invented everything. In fact, they don't and they have quite obviously adapted things used elsewhere. The point though still stands - Apple doesn't do everything from scratch like every other company. Should Apple be rewarded for all the original and hard work that they do? Absolutely. Should they have the right to defend it? You bet. Are they somehow better than everyone else at everything (which your posts seem to imply)? No because, in many respects, they're like every other tech company.

Reaction score
Two companies making similar products in intense competition? Sounds perfect for a consumer. Maintaining motivation to make something new if anyone can copy it? Who will want to design? Double edged I don't really know whats best. Lawsuits suck I know that. I really love apple products but was amazed by how much iOS 5 copied from the jailbreaking community. Friends showed 5 blatant copys and I couldn't prove those developers started working for Apple.

The business worlds tough =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So because Apple "perfected" it, they have the right to litigate? I'm not saying Apple doesn't have valid patents here (obviously they do) but you can't say that perfecting a technology gives someone the right to sue because who's to say that Apple has perfected anything?

At this point it has nothing to do with perfection and everything to do with Patents. Doesn't matter if Apple "perfected" it or not, they were able to patent it and able to prove to a jury that the competition did in fat violate the patent.

The real issue here, IMO, is simply the ability to patent many of things that they did. If you write it vague enough, you can cover all of the bases and nobody else can use it without paying or the threat of a lawsuit. The whole process is out of whack, the lawsuits and proceedings are just a byproduct of a system that is out of control.

Frankly, this makes me wonder if Apple might not be emboldened enough to try and go back and sue M$ again. I'd bet they could get a judge to toss out the old ruling and re-examining the case from the 80s/90s. It would be interesting to watch but would largely depend on what was patented when and by whom.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Apple is good at marketing technology and features. Even if they didn't create it. Just saying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.