Should I return my MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Mid 2012
Hey everyone.

I've been lurking on these boards now for sometime and I really appreciate all the advice and info there is out here so thanks to everyone for that.

I just got my first mac a week ago. I got a new mid 2012 13 MBP, entry level book, so far been pretty solid. I like the size/form factor, pretty intuitive to use.

Now I use it pretty heavily for surfing the web, written a few papers, a few presentations, photos, videos - in particularly for my schooling/training I have stacks of training DVDs that I rip to my HD so I can sit in coffee shops and watch/listen to them. I have pretty much have filled up the HD with photos, music and videos. Also at the beginning of the week I never saw a beach ball while executing programs. Now they're popping up regularly.

Since I am still in that 2 week return period, should I just buck up the extra 300 bucks and exchange it for the MBP 13 with 750gb HD and 8gb ram. I am aware that you can swap the ram and HD out, but as this is my first mac I want to keep it as "pure" as possible until I get the upgrade bug and am out of the coverage period. Has anyone done this before and was it an issue at the apple store?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I have pretty much have filled up the HD with photos, music and videos.
That may be your problem. You should leave about 10% of your HDD free for the computer to use.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey everyone.

I've been lurking on these boards now for sometime and I really appreciate all the advice and info there is out here so thanks to everyone for that.

I just got my first mac a week ago. I got a new mid 2012 13 MBP, entry level book, so far been pretty solid. I like the size/form factor, pretty intuitive to use.

Now I use it pretty heavily for surfing the web, written a few papers, a few presentations, photos, videos - in particularly for my schooling/training I have stacks of training DVDs that I rip to my HD so I can sit in coffee shops and watch/listen to them. I have pretty much have filled up the HD with photos, music and videos. Also at the beginning of the week I never saw a beach ball while executing programs. Now they're popping up regularly.

Since I am still in that 2 week return period, should I just buck up the extra 300 bucks and exchange it for the MBP 13 with 750gb HD and 8gb ram. I am aware that you can swap the ram and HD out, but as this is my first mac I want to keep it as "pure" as possible until I get the upgrade bug and am out of the coverage period. Has anyone done this before and was it an issue at the apple store?

Thanks!
It would be a lot cheaper to pick up a portable 500GB external USB HD and move files to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Since I am still in that 2 week return period, should I just buck up the extra 300 bucks and exchange it for the MBP 13 with 750gb HD and 8gb ram.

Yea go on. Why not if you have the beer tickets free .........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
"I am aware that you can swap the ram and HD out, but as this is my first mac I want to keep it as "pure" as possible until I get the upgrade bug and am out of the coverage period. "
How pure you want your mac to be, everyone in the world knows Apple let you upgrade HD and Ram on your own, they will honor the coverage, you can get a lot extra with $300 you pay to apple, if I am not wrong you can get samsung 1TB hd and 8g ram for around this figure and save some extra bucks for few more cups of coffee. Apple will gladly let you return the used one and get your $300. It is one of the easiest thing to swap the drive and insert new Ram.
Just my 2 cents.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Mid 2012
OK, I was misinformed, I was thinking if I upgraded the RAM and HD myself that I would void the warranty, but apparently this isn't the case. Thanks YCL.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That used to be true but has not been for some time. If you would like to see video of how easy the installations are find your Mac on this page

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Mid 2012
Super cool.

Didn't realize how easy it was. Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.