atv box vs atv real tv

Reaction score
Two questions. 1) has it pretty much been determined that apple will be coming out with a new set top box vs an actual tv? and 2) Is there an estimated timeframe for whatever they will be releasing?

I have a tv that needs replacing and I've been holding out to see what apple does. Thanks for any thoughts.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All rumors..nothing remotely substantiated..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just my opinion, but Apple would have to be off their collective rockers to introduce their own branded TV. I could write a book about why, but the main reasons revolve around the fact that the Apple TV STB and firmware can be so easily modified to do anything imaginable and can, in turn, be connected to any TV the customer wanted. Not only that, but the TV market is incredibly competitive, relatively low-margin and there's a well established number of vendors that sell them. Apple would have to have an incredibly disruptive technology in an actual TV to be able to even get a toe hold in that market, let alone convince customers to pay a 1/3 premium over a comparative TV that could otherwise have an Apple TV STB connected to it.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see any logical argument for Apple creating their own-branded TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.