HELP: Locked myself out of iMac

Reaction score
So last night I purchased my first iMac with an SSD and a 2 TB HD. I bought it used, and didn't get any disks with it. I upgraded to Mountain Lion last night without a problem. Today I made the rookie mistake of moving things around (including the Home folder to the SSD) and renamed the drives. I obviously did something wrong because now I can't log in to my account. I get the message "You are unable to log in to the user account at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."

I'm sure this is because I moved the Home folder, but I don't know how to get in now to fix it since I don't have a disk. I do have a MacBook Pro if that would be of any help.

If anyone has advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Moving your Home folder can have horrible results as you've found out, unless you know absolutely what you are doing. You can try connecting the iMac to the MacBook as a external drive and moving the Home folder back to it's original location.

Boot your iMac into Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key as you power it on. Connect it to your MacBook with a firewire cable and it should mount as an external drive on your MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.