Help me with PC - iMac connecting please :(

Reaction score
Hello dear people, so here is my issue im having:

I have iMac mid 2010 27"
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Machine is lovly and i wont spend any more words on it as you all know it by now. But beside this iMac i have PC (case) among other things it have ATI RADEON HD 5770 (ports DVI,HDMI,DP), today i bought adapter mini-display to DVI and a DVI cable, so now i have put 1 part of DVI into PC and other part into iMac (trough mentioned adapter ofc), after i have connect pc and imac to proper ports i turned them ON, iMac loaded all fine but (as i heard i need to press cmd+f2 , tried also ctrl+f2) nothing happens i mean i cant see my PC. Just in case i connected my (PC) monitor to pc to see if works just DVI-DVI and yea it works , so cable works fine.
So my question is am i able to connect my pc to this iMac and if yes how please? (dont forget i have HDMI,DP ports more in case some other addapter is requiered)

Thank you a lot for great help on this frustrating matter :Lips-Are-Sealed::|

N.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to connect one computer's DVI "out" to another computer's DVI "out" port. (let us know if I'm wrong)
This will not work, and may damage one or both computers!!!
Ethernet is one connection type that is meant for computer to computer connections.

Reaction score
Connecting Mac's and PC's should be relatively easy using either a WiFi connection or a suitable cross over Ethernet cable. I have found on some occasions that a connection isn't always possible. ( The dreaded " You don't have sufficient privileges" message). In these cases I have loaded Bonjour for windows, and hey presto everyone talks to each other. Not tried this with Windows 7 though

OP
N
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to connect one computer's DVI "out" to another computer's DVI "out" port. (let us know if I'm wrong)
This will not work, and may damage one or both computers!!!
Ethernet is one connection type that is meant for computer to computer connections.

Heya guys,

No i wanna use iMac as monitor of my PC ,....anyway ive read that my card 5850 wasnt supported.

So i bought today 7850 ASUS connected pc and imac with thunderbolt (miniDP) cable , press cmd+f2 and NOTHING ****** happens!!
Im desperate now, i dont know if i have to setup something in windows or catalyst or something in imac to make it work, but somehting is very wrong and driving me nuts!
Do you have any clues what is going on? :(:(:(:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So my question is am i able to connect my pc to this iMac and if yes how please? (dont forget i have HDMI,DP ports more in case some other addapter is requiered)

Your 2010 iMac 27" model has two video ports: One input and one output. You can (using the right cable and input signal) connect a video input source to the iMac and use the iMac display.

No i wanna use iMac as monitor of my PC ,....anyway ive read that my card 5850 wasnt supported.

So i bought today 7850 ASUS connected pc and imac with thunderbolt (miniDP) cable , press cmd+f2 and NOTHING ****** happens!!

Your iMac does not support Thunderbolt so forget about that. I think your problem is on the PC output side. Your PC is not outputting the correct video signal that can be used to input to the iMac in order to use its display.

Why don't you buy an external monitor for the PC instead of using the iMac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.