Repair Utilities vs. Data Recovery Software..?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can give me some guidance on what sort of software I should be looking into to recover data from my external hard drive. Humor me, I've never bought software for this sort of problem before..

What are the differences between something like Disk Warrior and something like Ease US? My external hard drive can't be repaired by disk utility, but I ran a trial version of Ease US and it was showing recovered photos. Is one of these programs preferable over the other for this kind of problem?

Any guidance would be great, thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Disk Warrior is more likely to be useful a few times a year, so I recommend that.
Easeus looks useful if you forget to erase/format a drive for Mac native HFS+.
What error message(s) did Disk Utility give?

OP
B
Reaction score
Take a look at the screenshot attached of the repair that Disk Utility attempted - do you have any insight on this? Do you think Disk Warrior be useful for this kind of problem?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-08-23 at 2.03.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-08-23 at 2.03.42 PM.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whilst personally use DiskWarrior the thing is it costs $99 and for that amount you can purchase a new hard drive. The drive may be cactus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I've never had a hard drive that messed up! Except ones which didn't respond at all.
I "think" Disk Warrior will work, but can't guarantee it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personally, I would use recovery software to try and copy the files you need from that drive. Even if you should repair that drive it will only be temporary and likely fail again. As Harry pointed out, Disk Warrior is expensive but if those files (photos) are important to you, then it would be worth it.

There is also "Data Rescue 3" and "Disk Drill" which can recover files from a damaged drive. Both are about the same price as Disk Warrior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I second Data Rescue. It has saved my bacon more than once.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.