Rapidweaver questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello there,

I'm considering ditching iWeb for Rapidweaver 5 on the back of various recommendations from folks on here.

The main reason being that I've been asked to publish a site for someone and iWeb only has facility for one domain. I know there is a workaround, but to be honest I could do with a clean break and start afresh.

I've just come across a method called Content Management System and would be grateful for any opinion as to how this type of software stacks up against something like Rapidweaver5...are they chalk and cheese or does Rwvr5 have this facility?

Thanks,
Liam

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By way of a bump anyone I bought Rapidweaver 5 anyway and am working my way through designing a site with it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I tried Rapidweaver a little while back for a little bit and it was cool enough but I code websites by hand so I never spent the time to get good at it..

Interestingly, I had this (https://www.mupromo.com/deal/13204/12336/macupdate-bundle) show up in my e-mail recently and it might interest you?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried Rapidweaver a little while back for a little bit and it was cool enough but I code websites by hand so I never spent the time to get good at it..

Interestingly, I had this (https://www.mupromo.com/deal/13204/12336/macupdate-bundle) show up in my e-mail recently and it might interest you?

Thank you Raz0rEdge, I must admit I'm impressed, particularly with the 'Resources' function where you can drag pdf's or other such info into the sidebar and easily link them to anywhere on the site and to more than one location as well. Apparently they load up to a root directory of the website when you publish it.

Early days yet, I'll bear that bundle in mind thank you.;D

Reaction score
I'm no expert but here's what I found by recent discovery...

CMS vs Home Brewed Solution
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CMS (Content Management System) can be really great. If it doesn't matter what type of server you'll run on you really should try DotNetNuke (DNN) for ASP.NET. I've tried Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, DNN, and a few others and found DNN to be the best solution for a lot of systems. Once installed its provided the most intuitive interface and can keep you pretty far away from the code until you want to make something one off.

Once I started getting my hands dirty with code I've preferred PHP over ASP or ASP.NET so I tried the PHP CMS solutions. I didn't really feel they were as balanced and quickly decided to build my own PHP web solution, I guess they weren't built how I was expecting...

I'd like to think building my own PHP website by raw code will provide the lightest most efficient solution. Server processing is money lost so I'm proud to build a solution that provides only what I need.

Best HTML/PHP Service to build a site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have even less experience with this then the stuff I said about CMS systems but heres what I found so far....

I have a fairly decent knowledge of HTML/JS/CSS/PHP so I didn't really look for Software that provides templates. I wish I could find an Apple solution that works like XCode or Visual Studio Express. Right now I'm using Expresso. It has a very clean interface for me to build my site and a very easy way to transfer that data to an FTP site for instant synchronization. I got scared away by people saying Coda 2 doesn't play well with Retina display.

I like Expresso, I wish it had more features like mySQL database management.

I hope I didn't say anything completely off base I'm also interested on what people have to say about designing with a mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ermadd, thank you for your very comprehensive thoughts. I need to spend a little time getting the gist of what you say so bear with me please.

Reaction score
hahaha I guess I felt like typing yesterday.

What are your goals for your next site? Blogging? Managing data? Business card?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahaha I guess I felt like typing yesterday.

What are your goals for your next site? Blogging? Managing data? Business card?

Sorry for the late response as my feet haven't touched the ground recently.

I'm too engrossed with Rapidweaver 5 at the moment. I thought Wordpress was too bloggy and too be honest my client is not tech savvy so the CMS solution just didn't seem right for him.

The Template solution suits my client and his budget for the moment so all it is a classic business page per discipline site with photos, text and, and various links to pdf's in the Resources folder, with a Contact Form at the end. I can manage it for him because I know him well.

What I will have fun with (not) is the HTML Metatag header which I believe is now uber important and a lot more sensitive than when I first built a site years ago.:Confused:

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm very impressed with it, in fact I just published the website Home this morning and it did the job excellently and all for £62 and my time.

This effort was from a standing start so from that point of view it's been great, a basic website was what they wanted. I was quickly helping some mates out with this one but once I get to grips with RW5 things will be swell.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The site looks quite nice, but I did notice an odd quirk with Chrome at least, that all of the button have a hover effect, but the 2 buttons on the second bar (Brochures and Technical & Contact Us) end up having the blue part on the top part of the button when I hover over them..

See attached screenshot for what I mean..

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 10.06.41 AM.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The site looks quite nice, but I did notice an odd quirk with Chrome at least, that all of the button have a hover effect, but the 2 buttons on the second bar (Brochures and Technical & Contact Us) end up having the blue part on the top part of the button when I hover over them..

See attached screenshot for what I mean..

Yes Raz0rEdge thanks for having a look.

I've lived with the quirk because I wasn't sure if it was there by design. I think what happens is that if I added another page some more of the blue bar to the right will disappear and that those page titles on that line at least would be highlighted in the original blue when hovered over.It's odd that the titles are centred though.

RW5 is pretty good with regards to if you are in actual view rather than edit you can click on a different template style and it will automatically change design for you to peruse. Not all templates however suit your words and layout.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.