Macbook Pro screen keeps randomly hibernating?

Reaction score
Sometimes my Macbook randomly hibernates for a couple seconds, then comes on again. It doesn't shut off completely, so I never lose any work, but it gets really annoying especially since I'm always on Skype and my contacts probably have to see me logging off and back on all the time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have to first try to figure out what's causing it before it can be "fixed". How about telling us which MBP you have, year and model? Also which version of OS X are you running? And does the screen black out when running other programs or does it do it just when you're using Skype?

OP
K
Reaction score
We have to first try to figure out what's causing it before it can be "fixed". How about telling us which MBP you have, year and model? Also which version of OS X are you running? And does the screen black out when running other programs or does it do it just when you're using Skype?

It's a 2nd gen Macbook Pro 13" (I got it in November 2011), OS X (Snow Leopard) version 10.6.8. And as far as I can tell, the screen blacks out randomly, whether I'm on Skype or not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That sounds like a graphics related problem rather than one in which the screen is going to sleep, but it could also be other things. It appears your machine is still under warranty. But before taking it to Apple to look at, try hooking up an external monitor or even a TV to your MBP. Let's see if it does the same thing.

Something else to try.... Boot up in Safe Mode. Hold down the shift key as soon as your hear the Bong sound. If the screen stays on OK in safe mode the problem could be caused by software in normal mode.

Also check to see that you don't have "Hot Corners" turned on. System Preferences, Desktop & Screen Saver, Screen Saver Tab. If you have a hot corner setup to sleep the display, whenever your mouse or trackpad hits that corner, the display will black out. You be surprised how many folks unknowingly have hot corners on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.