Weird Thing Happened to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hi so I recently restarted my computer and when it started up it starting indexing the spotlight? I've had this computer for almost 2 years and it shouldn't be indexing the spotlight again. Anyway, after it was done I was typing something in the search bar when all of a sudden my Mac just froze. This was the first time my Mac has ever frozen. I was forced to hold down the power button until it shut off and then reboot. After I rebooted everything seems fine and it isn't indexing the spotlight again. Just to be safe I did a PRAM reset. So does anyone know what caused this? Should I be worried?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
After the whole fiasco yesterday with your home folder, I won't even venture to guess what might be the problem. Chances are your Spotlight index was corrupted and it opted to re-index. You may also have permissions issues, which can be resolved by running verify/repair disk and verify/repair permissions in Disk Utility (First Aid tab).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After the whole fiasco yesterday with your home folder, I won't even venture to guess what might be the problem. Chances are your Spotlight index was corrupted and it opted to re-index. You may also have permissions issues, which can be resolved by running verify/repair disk and verify/repair permissions in Disk Utility (First Aid tab).

Already done that. Thanks though. So what makes you think that my permissions are messed up?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Modifications to the home folder structure can yield unpredictable results with permissions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Modifications to the home folder structure can yield unpredictable results with permissions.

Oh ok. So do you think anything else was messed up though?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.