Interesting Alaskan Problem

Reaction score
Greetings from up north!

So here it is....in our village, the only internet service available to us is via Satellite (Hughesnet). With the impending implementation of high-speed microwave access, I am not interested in paying the huge $$$'s to have my own satellite service connected. Therefore, my neighbors have agreed to share their connection with me.

Our houses are pretty close together, but their Wireless Airport Extreme is furthest from me. Right now, I have my own AE in their window facing my house, with a second AE in my home, both set up to "Extend" their wireless network.

However, the signal in my home is less than 50%. So, I unplugged the AE in my home only to discover that all of my devices are connecting to the one one in their home (the one I used to extend their primary device). So basically, the AE sitting in my home is doing nothing.

Is there a way to force my devices to connect to the AE in my home rather than the one that is farther away?

This might be a bit confusing, so here's a basic map:

Modem --- Primary AE --- My first extended AE (in their home) --- My second extended AE (in my home).

The issue is my devices are using "My first extended AE" to connect to the internet, and I want them to use "My second extended AE," in my home, for *hopefully* a stronger signal. I understand that the more AE's you add, the weaker the signal, so all I'm looking for is some sort of improvement.

Any advice? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would look into using a antenna to extend the power of the signal from the main AE. That could possibly eliminate the use of the second AE and give you a strong signal to work with. Search around and you should receive plenty of hits on the subject.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you chscag, but after doing some forum searching and product research, it appears that they do not sell antenna's for an Airport Extreme...I found some makeshift ones, at about $125.00 a pop, which is something I am not interested in spending money on.

Am I missing something? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Could you run a cable?

OP
T
Reaction score
With the impending implementation of high-speed microwave access, I am not interested in paying the huge $$$'s to have my own satellite service connected.

As mentioned above, I really do not want to spend a lot of money on my own satellite service or with extra equipment. Out here, a gallon of milk is $12.00. You do the math for cable long enough to reach my home ;)

But, I do thank you for the suggestion! The more I read, the more I realize I'm probably better off just dealing with the low signal and waiting for GCI to get off their butts and get high speed up and running in the village.

Right now, they are predicting to be online in January....you know, when it's -20 before the windchill kicks in. Perfect time to be doing work....

Thank you everyone, and I'm still up for suggestions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.