Macbook Pro A1278 Will not power On...

Reaction score
Well, I have been through the ringer with this computer. I have an A1278 Macbook Pro 2010 Model that I am working on . It originally came with the White Screen of Death. I thought it was the Logic Board. I replaced It and it did not fix the problem. So I replaced the screen today with the whole screen assembly and it fixed the problem. I was a happy camper. Well, after i got it all back together it will not power on, not hit a lick or anything. I been going on and on with this computer for 2 months. So, Im ready to throw in the towel and begging for help. I was reading about some kind of SMC switch reset. I did try what I read on the website but nothing happen or anything. Not sure if i was reading about right particular model or not. Well any help or tips or info or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Unibody Macbook
The first thing i'd try is reseating the RAM. Obvious , i know, but often the problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for the idea. But yeah, i did try doing that also. The macsafe or the charger does not have a light on it. Should it have a light on it no matter if it will turn on or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
A few things can cause the power adapter's magsafe connector not to display green or orange. Either the power adapter is dead, a fault within the MBP or something metallic has become attracted magnetically to the magsafe connector stopping the plug seating properly or the magsafe connectors pins are retracted, I've seen all. Do you have another power adapter to try? Does the MBP's battery show any charge?

You said "It originally came with the White Screen of Death." Did you buy it non working like this, if so do you know anything about its history? It's odd that it appears to have multiple faults as you had repaired it by replacing the display.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, its not mine and Im working on it for a friend. They said they left it in the car on a hot summer day and im assuming thats what did it and caused the white screen of death. I did research and it kept saying logicboard. I replaced it and still had the white screen of death so I put the old board back in. And bought an external monitor cable box that runs VGA. It worked so I bought a screen and installed it and tested it and it work. After I got everything back together the bottom case (whole nine yards) then nothing, no sign of life what so ever. I did try another power adapter, still nothing. I did click the button on the side and no lights will display anything on the battery of any charge. When I plug the power adapter to the unit it does not have any light on the end of the tip on either power adapter I tried.

I just cant believe it worked perfect with no problems and then I turned it off to put the rest of the remaining parts (meaning bottom case cover and a few screws) and then nothing. I mean now it really does sound like the Logicboard but wow, just like that? Which I dont fully understand this SMC reset . I mean it would be nice if the SMC reset would indiciate that it was reset but nothing. But anyways, thanks for the tips and info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Unibody Macbook
Try partly disassembling it again. Sometimes the act of tightening up a case will short out a misalligned componenet. When the case is opened again, it may relieve pressure and work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.