Is this MAC PRO Desktop a good buy ?

Reaction score
Is his MAC PRO Desktop (released January, 2008) a good buy ?

1000 GBP (Pounds)

Apple Mac Pro Xeon 64-bit workstation

- Mac OS X 10.5.8
- 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors
- Total number of Cores: 8
- 12Mb On Chip Level 2 Cache Per Processor
- 1.6GHz Bus Speed
- 4Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM, 8 FB-DIMM Slots Support up to 16Gb Memory
- NVidia GeForce 8800GT Graphics with 512Mb VRAM, Cinema 1680 x 1050 Resolution, 32-bit Color Depth
- 2 x 500GB Serial ATA 3GB/s Hard Drive Storage
- Six Hard Drive Bays in Total (4 Open)
- 2 x SuperDrive (DVD and CD Readers/Writers)
- 2 Firewire 800 ports, 2 Firewire 400 ports, 5 USB 2.0 Ports
- Intel High Definition Audio In & Out - 1/8-Inch Jacks, Front Headphone Minijack & Speaker
- 2 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet Ports

with
Monitor: Cinema Widescreen 20-inch Display and Apple FCP Keyboard - used

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

That's not a bad machine at all, but if you have a £1000 limit or something, you can look at the refurb Apple store and see these two iMacs (one and two)..

With the refurb store you're getting newer hardware for cheaper than brand new prices..

If you're REALLY interested in getting a Mac Pro only..then check this one out.

Check out all the currently available Mac's here: Refurbished Mac - Buy Refurbished Mac Products - Apple Store (UK). This list changes constantly..

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums

That's not a bad machine at all, but if you have a £1000 limit or something, you can look at the refurb Apple store and see these two iMacs (one and two)..

With the refurb store you're getting newer hardware for cheaper than brand new prices..

If you're REALLY interested in getting a Mac Pro only..then check this one out.

Check out all the currently available Mac's here: Refurbished Mac - Buy Refurbished Mac Products - Apple Store (UK). This list changes constantly..

Thanks for your reply...

I am very new to mac forums... or mac machine for that matter. Iam quiet good at windows systems. But mac is very new to me.

This question may seem to be very stupid.... But i just wanted to check..

How can i check if this systems all hard ware (monitor, HDD, Graphics, RAM is / are working perfectly before i do a buy of this machine ?

I remember one of my friend who was saying to me that if a machine was used too much for heavy video editing work in the past making a full utilisation of power of the mac system, it is not worth to buy that system as seconds. Is that true at all ????

As i said, iam very new to mac

In simple words, Does heavy usage of machine in the past define the future working of machine ??? Please advise.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First of all, a computer (apart from the HDD) doesn't have mechanical wear and tear that would cause a used machine to fail if it previously spent time as a workhorse. There is no truth in that, fairly uneducated, statement.

You can run the Apple Hardware Test (Mountain Lion edition) to check on the integrity of the system..

But used machines (unless you buy from the refurb store or if within the 3 year Applecare period) usually have no warranties and are sold as is, so that's a risk you'll have to take..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
This Mac Pro matches the spec for the early 2008 model, so if required is capable of running Mountain Lion, Apple's current OS. Earlier Mac Pro's won't. If you buy make sure you are given the 2 install DVD's, although Leopard is getting a little old now and is no longer supported by Apple. If you plan to upgrade you'll need to hunt down a retail copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.0 or 10.6.3). Memory for these Macs are more expensive than used in current Machines, you'll pay about £98.00 + VAT for a 4GB kit from Crucial, as I gather you must be in the UK through quoting GBP in the buy price. Still a nice Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your feed backs.... I am yet to decide on buying this... Will let you all know if i buy. :Cool:

Any other comments are always welcome

thanks again

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Honestly, unless you need the heavy duty graphics capability and if you already have a Monitor and Keyboard, you may be better served for the money by one of these.
Mac mini - Buy Mac mini Online - Apple Store (UK)

And, if you wait a bit, it is highly likely by the end of the year the Mac Mini line will be updated to include USB 3.0

OP
B
Reaction score
Folks -

Can people once again confirm that Mountain Lion (latest version of Mac) can be installed on this 2008 version of Mac Pro ?

Apple Mac Pro Xeon 64-bit workstation

- Mac OS X 10.5.8
- 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
B
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The Mac2Sell website is working fine for me.:)

I wish you left the OP thread as it is rather than being removed.

Actually I could have sent you a warning for starting a 2nd thread that was just a continuation of this thread. Having multiple open threads for the exact same topic is not necessary (and frowned upon).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
The Mac2Sell website is working fine for me.:)

Actually I could have sent you a warning for starting a 2nd thread that was just a continuation of this thread. Having multiple open threads for the exact same topic is not necessary (and frowned upon).

- Nick

Actually the site opens, but i am unable to proceed further to get a quote.
Browser - IE

Also i believe in humans than websites or machine who can provide more valid info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Also i believe in humans than websites or machine who can provide more valid info.

The majority of the senior members (if not all of them) use Mac2Sell for pricing used Macs. So any number we tell you, is most likely going to come from Mac2Sell anyways.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually the site opens, but i am unable to proceed further to get a quote.
Browser - IE

Potentially try a different browser.

From my understanding…Mac2Sell takes buying and selling data from 100's (maybe 1000's) of computer transactions (by model)…then comes up with an average value (which is adjusted as time goes on). Believing in humans is great…but no single human is going to be able to tell how much a specific model Apple computer is selling for in all areas of the United States, Canada, Australia, the UK, etc.

It's also kind of ironic that you're looking for information related to purchasing a used computer…yet you don't trust "websites or machines" for information!;) Where do you think that the information on Mac2Sell comes from & is complied by???…HUMANS!!!:)

I'm guessing you're in the UK…and although we have many members from the UK…I would imagine that it will be hard to find many who will have first hand knowledge of the value of used Mac Pro's (few people own them)…then add the complexity of the specific Mac Pro models you've posted.

And if you do get one person to reply…that's just one data point…which could be accurate…or inaccurate.

Lastly. We at Mac-Forums are not a used computer value knowledge base. Sure…start a thread asking how much a used computer is worth…and knowledgeable folks will try their best to reply. But then move onto a 2nd…then possibly a 3rd or 4th computer (asking the values for them)…and folks will get very tired very quickly…since it will appear that a person is just "fishing" for a used computer…and may or may not be serious about the purchase.

My suggestion is…do your own local homework/research first. If you see a computer you are interested in…check e-Bay, check Mac2Sell.com, and check any other local resources you may have. When you have done this for a couple weeks or a month…you will get a VERY good idea what used Mac Pro's are selling for in your area/country.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for all your reply, But no body is getting the point. Rate is just a estimated acceptable value, But If you see the first post and the following comments, iam sure you guys will understand what i was actually expecting.

And regarding people getting tired of messages - i think that is what the forums are for. Clarifications, issues, budgets, all
Iam a hard core windows user and very new to MAC world (other than seeing macs in retail shops :Cool:)
I think without people like me, forum experts will look bored :) or will not find topics to reply.

Anyways, i will refrain from posting posts like this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What info do you want from us? Some here would say that Mac Pro is almost worthless since it will not even run Mountain Lion. Mac2Sell is a very good site for estimating the worth. You can go to Ebay but many there will WAY OVER PAy for things. Power Mac G4 Digital Audio for $500. A computer that will not play one video on you tube without stalling and skipping all over the place. Yet Ebay people say $500. It's a worthless computer worth $25 tops. Go to Mac2Sell you will see they agree with me.

Not sure what more info you want. Ever other person is going to give you a different figure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.