Problems with Mountain Lion and Networked Printer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry just to pop in asking for advice, but I'm sort of at the end of my rope as far as what I seem to be able to do on my own.

I have a Brother HL-2240 which I've had networked with my MacBook Air and my desktop from the Other Guys without incident. I recently upgraded the Air from Lion to Mountain Lion, and I took the plunge and got myself a real iMac, also with ML. (The Other Machine) remains, because my husband has some anti-Apple thing.

Anyway, now neither of my Macs will connect to the printer. I know I have all the drivers installed correctly, because when I plugged the printer directly into both Macs, it printed fine. When I go out and try to get them to "see" the printer on the network, they do, but neither seems to connect.

I tried speaking with AppleCare, and they told me to speak with Brother, and Brother said since it's not technically a network printer, they can't support it.

And suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So what is the printer actually connected to and how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Restart the router, restart the printer. Give it a few minutes.

Open System Preferences on a Mac go to Print & Scan

Can you see the printer in the list of printers on the left?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
It says in the Belkin router manual:
"Note: Each computer that will use the printer must have both the Belkin software and the printer's driver installed. If the print driver is not installed, you will be asked to install it by the Belkin USB print and Storage Manager."

So, is the Belkin software installed?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, I have made sure the Belkin software is on all three machines.

And I tried rebooting the printer and router as suggested, but still have no results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but still have no results.

Does that mean the printer isn't in the list? Or that it won't print?

If it's not in the list hit the + button, at the bottom then on the next screen, if not auto detected, Choose IP and enter the printers IP address (you'll need to log into the router to find this out)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
The Belkin software means there is a proprietary Belkin connection to the printer (it might just enable Bonjour), so you need to ask Belkin about this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Does that mean the printer isn't in the list? Or that it won't print?

If it's not in the list hit the + button, at the bottom then on the next screen, if not auto detected, Choose IP and enter the printers IP address (you'll need to log into the router to find this out)

I have the IP information from the router, but I'm not sure which one specifically refers to the printer. I know it's not the LAN, but when I tried the WAN IP it didn't work either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are your router and broadband ip addresses.

Within the router you should be able to see a list of attached devices or details about the print server and it's ip address

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't see anything about attached devices, but I'll keep digging. I did also e-mail Belkin, and I hope they'll be a bit more helpful than their website.

Thank you for your help, everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.