Virtual Box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
I need to run WordPerfect. I've 4 GB of docs on a USB, and Virtual Box won't recognize the USB no matter how I configure it. I've been to Oracle, followed all the directions, downloaded the extension, enabled USB, clicked the devices, and the USB ports are listed, but grayed. I've tried connecting the USB before opening VB, and after opening VB; doesn't work either way.

I'm running Mountain Lion, so I can't open the documents with Open Office, Text Edit, or anything else - all I get is code.

Hope someone can solve this please? (Parallels is not an option; I bought Parallels 6 less than a year ago, and am not paying for the upgrade!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 27" iMac i5-3.1GHz
Typically, in VirtualBox, you "attach" the USB to the Virtual Machine after you've plugged it into the physical machine (in this case, your Mac). Here is something to try:

1. Start your virtual machine and get it to where you have Windows Explorer sitting there.
2. Connect your USB device.
3. At this point the USB device will connect to your Mac by default. Go to the Finder, and "Eject" it.
4. Next, go to the Devices menu of the VirtualBox window of your Windows Guest. You will need to attach your USB device.

Hopefully, at this point, the guest system (Windows) will recognize the USB drive, and you'll be able to get your files. The other option is to share a folder on your guest. If you go to the "Shared Folders" and add a path on your Mac, you can access it by going to Start/Run on your Windows guest and typing "\\vboxsf" and click OK (make sure they are backslashes)..

Between the two of these things, you should be able to get to your files...

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your quick reply and advice!

I got to #4, and there was my USB, but with an error message that it wouldn't function properly, and it wouldn't open. So I tried your second suggestion, but I'm not sure I understand it.

Do I start sharing from Windows or Mac? This is Windows XP SP3, so I don't have easy sharing. I tried finding a Share Folder on Mac, and all I get is AirDrop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 27" iMac i5-3.1GHz
If you go to "Shared Folders" under the Devices menu under the VirtualBox window that your Windows machine is running under, you can set up a share to somewhere that is on your Mac. Once you configure it, then run "\\vboxsf" from the Run dialog in your Windows Guest. You should then see the share you created...

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AH - finally got it to work! Thank you so much! I had to make a few minor changes, like running "\\vboxsrv" and use E: backslash for "run" - but it worked. You are my hero for the week!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.