Help!!! Changed Account Name!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
I need help!!! I was trying to change my Mac's account name so it would just have my first name. First I went to System Preferences. Then I went to Users and Groups. Then Login Options. Then i clicked join and open directory utility. After that, I changed the NFSHomeDirectory name from /Users/adamLASTNAME to /Users/adam and then reauthenticated it. Now I logged of my Mac and all my stuff is gone! Everything! The only thing left is my applications but most of them won't open up!! Please Help!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also my Mail applications won't start up. It just bounces and then stops.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also I'm trying to view the Library folder in my old account but ever time I press Command Shift "G" and type ~/Library it only gives me the library folder of the new account. Supposedly I'm supposed to replace the Library folder from the old account with the new account but I can only get access to the new Library folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would this work???

Boot into Recovery Mode (Command and R keys while booting)
Select Utilities > Terminal
Type the following into Terminal, very carefully:

Code:
rm -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adam
Code:
mv /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adamLASTNAME /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adam
Code:
resetpassword
Choose the Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs option. Follow the prompts.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Would this work???

Boot into Recovery Mode (Command and R keys while booting)
Select Utilities > Terminal
Type the following into Terminal, very carefully:

Code:
rm -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adam
Code:
mv /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adamLASTNAME /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adam
Code:
resetpassword
Choose the Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs option. Follow the prompts.

I would think so - only one way to find out for sure! :)

That, or restore from the backup you made just prior to the change (hopefully you're in the habit of doing so).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That, or restore from the backup you made just prior to the change (hopefully you're in the habit of doing so).

I im confused!!! I know of two library folders! One is under Macintosh HD. The other is under my current account(adam) with none of my stuff. Am I supposed to be able to access the Library folder from my old account that is under Users too?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I im confused!!! I know of two library folders! One is under Macintosh HD. The other is under my current account(adam) with none of my stuff. Am I supposed to be able to access the Library folder from my old account that is under Users too?

There are two different scopes for the Library folder - the one specific to the OS, and the one specific to the user. The latter of which is the one you're focused on. It should remain as before, but the path is different since its parent container was changed.

As you go through the process, do NOT touch the Macintosh HD\Library folder at all, ever, under any circumstance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have no backup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are two different scopes for the Library folder - the one specific to the OS, and the one specific to the user. The latter of which is the one you're focused on. It should remain as before, but the path is different since its parent container was changed.

As you go through the process, do NOT touch the Macintosh HD\Library folder at all, ever, under any circumstance.
Ok. So how do I swap the Library folders of the accounts if I can't get access to the old account's library folder that has everything on it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no backup.

You're kidding. Why would you go mucking about with your machine and no backup?

You seem like a pretty savvy kid - heck, you've played around with several versions of Linux, know a bit about Windows and the Mac... you even have designs on administering one of the biggest forums on the Interwebz... and yet you haven't ever made a backup?

This is computer-user 101 - always make a backup before making an OS change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you may well be in for an erase of the drive, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and a clean install of Lion/Mountain Lion. Did you make a USB thumb drive of whatever operating system you are using? SAnd you do need either a Time Machine or cloned copy on an external drive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. So how do I swap the Library folders of the accounts if I can't get access to the old account's library folder that has everything on it?

The Library folder you're looking at, contained within your newly renamed home folder, should be the "old" account's library folder. Have there been changes to it as you've tried to recover from the rename? Probably, but it's likely the same folder. What leads you to believe it isn't?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're kidding. Why would you go mucking about with your machine and no backup?

You seem like a pretty savvy kid - heck, you've played around with several versions of Linux, know a bit about Windows and the Mac... you even have designs on administering one of the biggest forums on the Interwebz... and yet you haven't ever made a backup?

This is computer-user 101 - always make a backup before making an OS change.

Oh wow thanks for the compliments. So do you think you could help me out with the last part. I'm not able to view the Library folder of the old Account. Should I do what I said earlier and enter in that code in recovery mode? You think that would solve the problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh wow thanks for the compliments. So do you think you could help me out with the last part. I'm not able to view the Library folder of the old Account. Should I do what I said earlier and enter in that code in recovery mode? You think that would solve the problem?

Can't get much worse at this point, considering the alternatives (and I believe harryb is probably dead-on).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed it! Just entered some code in terminal on recovery mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great work.

Look around for an external drive and case and start backing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.