Slow running SSD in mid 2010 MBP?

Reaction score
Hi,

A few months ago i bought my first ever mac computer, a mid 2010 macbook pro 13".
It was upgraded to 8gb ram and it has the 2.4 ghz core 2 duo cpu.

I alredy had a SSD (OCZ vertex 2 120 gb 275 mb/s write and 285 mb/s read), got it installed in my mac, formatted and installed Lion (i have mountain lion now).

When running black magic disk speed test in Lion and mountain Lion, this is the best results i can get:

Bad read/write speed with SSD Macbook PRO mid 2010 - YouTube

Is this really the best i can get out of this mac? :\

Best Regards
Fredrik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
sata 2 ssd and mid 2010 mbp about right speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Don't use test to judge the dialy-use speed of your SSD. BlackMagic DST measures your disks speed by measuring transfer rates of uncompressed media(as shown on the sides). It is normal for these test to be lower than the manufacturers shown speeds, as this is one of the highest tress test you can perform on an ssd. Normal write speeds usually peak at the manufactures suggested speed.

Also, that speed has absolutely nothing to due with sata2 and year of the MBP, as SATA2 can have speeds up to 300MB/s. The biggest factor will be the quality of SSD and its sustained speeds.

>.>

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your answers :)

Okay, but how come the read speed is so much higher then the write speed when the disc has 275 write and 285 write?
Thats only 10 mb in difference.. :\ If the write speed also where around 150-160 mb/s it would be more understanding.. :)

I dont think the SSD has the latest firmware, i believe i checked and there is a newer version. Would i be able to update the SSD in the mac or do i need a windows computer for that? :)

As you say, the sata2 has a limit of 300 mb/s its not a point to buy a faster disc either i guess, i wont get any better speed anyway?
Or to say it another way, my disc goes almost as fast as the sata2 can so there no need to buy a faster one.. Right? :) (If i for example would buy a bigger disc later or something, i will never get any much better speed)

Regards
Fredrik:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
mid 2010 mbp that is high as you can go, even with sata 3 still will not do you any good, it is fast and far superior than regular hd, by the way what is your booting time ? it is 20 secs or below ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hi,
Thanks for your answers :)

Okay, but how come the read speed is so much higher then the write speed when the disc has 275 write and 285 write?
Thats only 10 mb in difference.. :\ If the write speed also where around 150-160 mb/s it would be more understanding.. :)

I dont think the SSD has the latest firmware, i believe i checked and there is a newer version. Would i be able to update the SSD in the mac or do i need a windows computer for that? :)

As you say, the sata2 has a limit of 300 mb/s its not a point to buy a faster disc either i guess, i wont get any better speed anyway?
Or to say it another way, my disc goes almost as fast as the sata2 can so there no need to buy a faster one.. Right? :) (If i for example would buy a bigger disc later or something, i will never get any much better speed)

Regards
Fredrik:)

Each speed has its own variation, regardless of what its maximum peak is.
Which can you do faster- write a paragraph, or read a paragraph?
It's the same concept with an ssd, and only somewhat true with an hdd. There's also a bit more to it when talking about writing on an sdd, like the movement of blocks to make a consistent data block for new data, but the analogy is pretty simple to understand. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. I would start to worry if you start reaching your SSD size limit, or if programs start noticeably getting slower to respond/open/close.

FYI: Like I mentioned before, the biggest factor in this test will be the quality of the SSD. I have a 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, which has 275MB/s sustained normal write/read speeds from the manufacturer, gets a score of ~120MB/s write and ~185MB/s read.

OP
A
Reaction score
iggibar:
Thanks for your informative answer :) I will then rest with this result. :)

ycl1688:
When i got the mbp, with standard HDD and snow leopard, it started in 36 seconds, after SSD upgrade and Lion, it started in 18 seconds. Now that i upgraded to Mountain Lion it starts in ca. 23 seconds i think. :)

Thinking maybe to install Lion again, if that is faster on my "old" mac :) Maybe it will feel little faster if the system is at the edge of whats needed to run ML.. :)

Regards
Fredrik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
would be happy with ML speed, hope you enjoy the ssd.5 secs slow not to worry.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hehe, no its not bad, but its just that it now lags alot in Minecraft :Blushing:
(My "i dont have anything else to do" game) ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Your SSD has nothing to do with Minecraft running slow. Are you using 64bit Java, and is Minecraft running in 64bit mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried the Optifine mod? I've been using that for a while and get at least 2x performance with it versus without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Search Google or the Minecraft Forums. It optimizes how the graphics work, and has tons of settings to tweak it for the best performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.