Airport Extreme Wireless

Reaction score
I've just had BT infinity set up in my house and it has to be connected to the main phone socket. So now I've got the BT infinity box, plus another box they have to connect and a load of cabling sitting on my kitchen worksurface.

I've got an airport extreme base station which I use to run a small network here: two iMacs, an Apple TV and a shared printer. I've tried setting up the airport extreme in another room (so I don't have to add yet more boxes and cabling to the kitchen pile) but I can only get it to work when it's hard wired into the BT router with an ethernet cable.

Is it possible to set up the Airport Extreme in another room so it picks up the internet connection wirelessly? Or does it have to be part of the leaning tower of network in the kitchen?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your Airport Extreme base station's WAN port must be connected to the BT cable modem so that it can get the necessary information to then allow others to connect to it through WiFi. If you were already provided a ruoter from BT as opposed to a regular modem, then you have 2 devices that want to connect to the modem and you have to figure out how you can replace the BT router with the AE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
to add to that .....

if you have the BT infinity router and the VDSL modem you can (so long as you get your username and password from BT) replace the router with your AE and connect the VDSL modem to it.

However the Infinity router is a pretty capable device so it maybe worth running just that to see how you get on.

You can have the AE connect to your infinity router as a bridge but it'll serve little purpose to be honest.

It comes down to which router has the best features that work best in your environment really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.