Syncing 2 iPhone on same computer

Reaction score
We just got my boyfriend his own iPhone and we are trying to sync it to my computer (he doesn't have one). It syncs ok, but it co-mingles my apps, contacts, notes, etc. on his iPhone. We established his own apple ID, so I'm not sure what we are doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
While it's entirely possible to use two device with different IDs, if you aren't intending on sharing any content then I'd suggest not using iTunes for his iPhone at all. He can backup to iCloud. There's no need to use iTunes and connect to a computer at all any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
On his phone. You can buy music, create playlists, manage, backup, add contacts, remove contacts all on the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that's not quite meeting your needs perhaps post back exactly what you want to do.

If he has no computer himself he presumably doesn't have an existing library of music to put on the phone (which is the only reason I can think of to actually NEED to use iTunes)

OP
L
Reaction score
I thought there was a way for families to "share" music from the same iTunes account. I'm guessing that's what I was attempting to do, but in the process, ended up co-mingling our contacts,etc. too. I guess it's just better for him to simply manage everything from his phone. He has a TON of cds that he wanted to upload and add to his iTunes library, but I guess he can't do that either if he is simply managing everything thru the phone. This is all just a bit confusing. Thanks for trying tohelp tho.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you uncheck syncing contacts with the computer for his iPhone. I sync two iPhones from the same computer with the same AppleID but use separate contacts info. Mine are stored on the computer and my wife's is synced with her yahoo contact list. Everything else is shared - i.e. music, movies, books, apps, etc. Both are kept as manually manage for everything else, so that we each have what we want. iTunes will also recognize each device and allow only those apps we each check off to be installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.

I've a better idea of where you're trying to get to now :)

Yes, you can share music from your library with up to 5 devices.

Connect his phone. Select it from the left sidebar and you'll see a series 'tabs' along the top. From these you can tick and untick which content will sync with his phone. You'll need to scroll down on some pages. Untick all those that you don't want to share (contacts, apps etc).

This way you'll be able to share music but he can manage his own apps, contacts etc on his phone

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you both. I will try this tonight. It seemed when I had his phone synced last night and I tried to check/uncheck the appropriate boxes in the sync summary screen, it would not let me uncheck some of the boxes. I think I will try it tonight, but set him up as a brand new phone again and make sure the right boxes are checked. I hope this solves the proplem. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click the x in the top bar to stop and activity on the phone and untick the sync automatically option too.
Then make the changes. Good luck. Post back with how you get on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
There is another very easy option if you do not want his content mingled with yours.

Create a new user account for him on your computer.
He will then have his own iTunes which he can add Music (downloads or CDs), Movies and Apps to.

He can then sync his iPhone to his own iTunes Account and his stuff will be completely seperate from yours.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though you can't share music this way

OP
L
Reaction score
David H - How do we create a new user account for him? iTunes automatically logs into my account when launched or synced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He means a new user on the computer.

On windows use Accounts in Control Panel, on Mac in System Preferences

Once created you log off (or fast user switch) from your existing user into the new one.

iTunes in a new user will be blank and empty

OP
L
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, now I get it. I have a mac, so yes, I know how to do that. That might be the perfect solution. Thanks so much!! This is my first time trying Mac Forums and you guys have been so nice and helpful. :)

Lynn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Ahhhhh, now I get it. I have a mac, so yes, I know how to do that. That might be the perfect solution. Thanks so much!! This is my first time trying Mac Forums and you guys have been so nice and helpful. :)

Lynn

Your welcome Lynn, that is what the Forum is all about.

DavidH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.