Latex editor on Mountain Lion

Reaction score
I'm am new to Mac and I now have a macbook air for work. I'm trying to install a latex editor, I tried several, but each of them give different errors. I also installed the tex live installation, but still the latex editors give error (ranging from no log file to \usr\texbin\... is a directory).

Anyone have a clue? I'm using OS X 10.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Which editors are you using?

OP
A
Reaction score
My preferred editor is Texnicle, but I also tried Texmaker and TexShop. Before I installed Texlive they didn't work, but I understand that although the download websites all explained it was a complete package. And after I installed texlive they were still not working and giving the same types of error. With not working I mean that the Build of the file doesn't function (neither pdflatex, latex, contex or any of the others).
As I'm new to mac I also find de-installing programs difficult. Somehow the editors don't show up in my applications folder and they seem to be more like a shortcut than an installed program although double clicking the icon functions. So I am a bit lost.
Any help is appreciated! :)

OP
A
Reaction score
P.S. While building or typesetting (?) it says:

/User/*****/Library/Application Support/TeXnicle/engines/pdflatex.engine:
line 52: /usr/texbin/pdflatex: is a directory

If I delete this directory (I made it myself) it says no such file or folder.
If I try to make a file I receive a permission denied error.

EDIT:
So i noticed I have my TeXlive at: /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/universal-darwin/
And I need pdflatex and the other commands at: /usr/texbin/pdflatex and such.

I've tried some stuff with symbolic links, but it just doesn't work. Because I can copy just the pdflatex file, but then I run into other commands that do not function. How do I tell the engine or texnicle or whoever to look in my other path. I already have added my TeXlive path to $PATH, doesn't seem to work either..

Reaction score
hi
@ampi : facing the same problem; what did you do exactly ?
Thanks
Olivier

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh darn, I completely forgot! Well, I'll have a look at it tomorrow as my mac is my work laptop. WhatI do remember is that I solved it through TexMaker. Somewhere in the editor there is a binary path defined, the path to texlive, and I think mine didn't include the entire path or there was a missing backlash at the end of it. So something really simple.

So I guess, if you have TeXlive installed correctly you need to tell the editor where he can find it.

But I'll try and find it tomorrow for you!

Reaction score
Thanks,
You mean TeXnicle is not a stand alone working editor ? Needs Textlive installed ?

Reaction score
just installed MacTeX (required apparently ...this is the main engine)
Replace TeXnicle>Prefs>Palette&Library>/Users/login/Library/Application\ Support/TeXnicle/engines/pdflatex.engine

=> TeXnicle 's PDF appeared like a charm

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Aaa good! For me it was simply the preferences in TeXmaker to lead to the correct path of pdf latex.

But yes, the editors are just the editors, they don't contain all the functions and packages. That's what you need TeXlive for. MacTeX is a complete package with TeXlive and TeXnicle as chosen editor. I myself use TeXmaker as I don't know how to wrap lines in TeXnicle! It seems to be soe bug in the current version..

But i'm glad it works for you now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.