Corrupt or broken harddrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Ok so as some of you may know, I recently got a Powermac G5 2.5GHz quad. I formatted the HD and installed a clean copy of Leopard. I used the computer a little bit that day and then shut it down and unplugged it as I went on a trip so I didnt want things plugged in. Anyway, got back home today to find it booting up really slow. Then, I shut it off after it had fully booted via the apple menu. Rebooted then it just stayed with the apple logo and the spinning thing and then the fans got REALLY loud and the computer just sat there loading. After about 5 minutes I resorted to the internet. Reset the SMU I think its called by pressing the button (I pressed multiple times to be sure lol) and same thing. I then ran my leopard disc, went to disc utility and hit verify disc. It failed and said something about a node structure. I then hit Repair Disc. That also failed. Being that I only had used that installation for a day I just formatted and reinstalled. Right now I am using it and it is working beaitfully. Any idea on as to how it got corrupt? Is the harddrive dying? Is there something wrong with the mother board, or SATA controller? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should test your hard drive more rigorously to see if it is dying. See my post linked below for tips on how to do so.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...o-much-space-used-hard-drive.html#post1372971

You should also consider running the Apple Hardware Test.
The Apple Hardware Test

Ok thanks, also I should add that periodically during times when the hard drive is in use, there is a fast repetitive clicking sound. But it is not as loud as the hard drive death tick. But maybe this hard drive is just doing it quieter?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. So I ran onyx and it said that SMART was ok but the disc needed to be repaired in disc utility. This was today so I booted off of my disc and ran DU. DU said the same thing it said yesterday about a node structure. Rebooted and fans came on again like last night. I just installed Leopard yet again on another one of my HDDs. So lets see how this one performs. Maybe it will last more than one day. If not then what? I still have yet to run the hardware test. Oh and when I removed the old hard drive I gave it a little shake and it sounded like something was rattling inside. I gave the one I just put in it a shake and it didnt make any noise. I am really hoping this is going to solve my problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. So I ran onyx and it said that SMART was ok but the disc needed to be repaired in disc utility. This was today so I booted off of my disc and ran DU. DU said the same thing it said yesterday about a node structure. Rebooted and fans came on again like last night. I just installed Leopard yet again on another one of my HDDs. So lets see how this one performs. Maybe it will last more than one day. If not then what? I still have yet to run the hardware test. Oh and when I removed the old hard drive I gave it a little shake and it sounded like something was rattling inside. I gave the one I just put in it a shake and it didnt make any noise. I am really hoping this is going to solve my problems.

I agree with harry... that hard drive sounds like it's failing. Did you even read my link to tips on testing your hard drive? I go into quite a bit detail, including a very specific recommendation to try SMART Utility, which is a piece of software that does a more thorough analysis of SMART data than other typical SMART tools. It's not free but has a free trial so you may as well take advantage of it. Hoping blindly that it will hold up after applying a bandaid fix to the file system won't help much if/when it finally fails and you aren't prepared.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with harry... that hard drive sounds like it's failing. Did you even read my link to tips on testing your hard drive? I go into quite a bit detail, including a very specific recommendation to try SMART Utility, which is a piece of software that does a more thorough analysis of SMART data than other typical SMART tools. It's not free but has a free trial so you may as well take advantage of it. Hoping blindly that it will hold up after applying a bandaid fix to the file system won't help much if/when it finally fails and you aren't prepared.

Yeah I read it but like I said I am using a different hard drive now since that one failed yet again. I found out that the arm inside of it isnt locking anymore, at least thats how it sounds. When this computer came in from shipping it was extremely banged up and dented. It stills is but I bet those hits broke the hard drive this one in it now actually seems even faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I read it but like I said I am using a different hard drive now since that one failed yet again. I found out that the arm inside of it isnt locking anymore, at least thats how it sounds. When this computer came in from shipping it was extremely banged up and dented. It stills is but I bet those hits broke the hard drive this one in it now actually seems even faster.

Ah... my bad. I would still test it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.