• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

run OS X/windows/linux simultaneously on new intel macs?

T

thoughtCoat

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=168435

veryone keeps talking about the dual core aspect of Yonah, but perhaps the best feature is VT, Intel's Virtualization Technology. According to this article, VThttp://www.nordichardware.com/news,2670.html is basically VMWare on a chip -- meaning that the new Intel Mac's will be fully capable of running OS X, Windows, Linux, OS/2, whatever, simultaneously in a system much like fast user switching, all with hyperthreading and dual core capability.

So everyone who keeps asking "can I dual boot?" ... "will there be a Virtual PC" ... you have no idea. This is going to be so much better. And as for the naysayers who cry "how do we know Apple will allow this?" remember Brian Croll's comment that Apple will not create any hardware to block users from installing Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
This seems cool if us mac users as there are some stuff that I cant use my mac for (but not stuff that essential that I would ever use XP) but would this mean that we would be more open to viruses etc?

Reaction score
Actually you can fairly much do that today. The Mac will run os x, and with the emulator you can run quite a bit of windows stuff, and Linux certainly runs on the Mac already. Of course with an intel processor and some clever programing it will probably be even easier in the future, though why anyone would want to run windows when os x is around is beyound me...

OP
T

thoughtCoat

No, you cannot run 3 operating systems simultaneously today on macs. You cannot compare emulation to running natively, either.

Many people could find it useful to have windows for a few apps, and for games, while using OS X for everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
What I would like, would not to see anything about Windows. Just, if I install a windows program, it just works. That would really bring on the 'it just works' theme. Install any program, and it works.

Yet you dont' see Windows and aren't susceptible to viruses.

I'll sing hallelujah and rejoice when that happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I'm just trying to figure out why people would want to ruin a Mac with XP... think about it, why bog down your Mac with Windows, plus anti-virus, plus anti-adware, plus anti-spyware, plus your Windows apps and kill the beauty of your Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Nobody can answer that question until the Intel Macs come out. Period.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
D3v1L80Y said:
Nobody can answer that question until the Intel Macs come out. Period.
:black:

People please write that down and take note of it for future reference

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
thoughtCoat said:
No, you cannot run 3 operating systems simultaneously today on macs.

In 1994 I sat in front of a DEC Alpha workstation which simultaneously ran WinNT 3.1, DEC VM & Unix. It was a right royal pain in the **** I can tell you.

Imagine having multiple windows on screen that all behave differently, some you can cut and paste or drag and drop between and others you cannot but there is no real indication as to which is which, each window gives a different menu on right click, each responds to different keyboard shortcuts, each has buttons and menus in different places etc etc.

It is a nightmare to use, heck it is bad enough having some apps use carbon and some use cocoa (and others like photoshop elements using something which I have yet to put a label on, what on earth is that mess?) imagine what your lovely OS X desktop would look like with say Win2000 and Linux Gnome windows on it as well!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The virtualization technology built into both Intel and AMD's forth coming processors is a very nice feature. You don't have to run a different OS, as you could run multiple instances of OS X if you'd like. Quite often I find myself experimenting w/ different OS settings and such, or programs I've never used before, but I worry about screwing up my setup. You could always have a second instance of the OS running to test certain things before you do them to your main install.

Mac users will finally have the ability to Game on a Windows system. You don't always have to have the instance running so you don't have to worry about it eating your resources. A clean install of Windows XP uses less in the way of resources than a clean install of OS X. If all your using the Windows installation for is gaming, you don't have to have Anti-Virus or adware protection. If you do, these utilities do not bog down the system expecially w/ a multi-core processor.

As for Linux...it sucks as a home OS, so I don't see why anyone would want to run it. While still making gains in the enterprise market, the market share of Linux is going nowhere.

OP
R

redv

I personally am looking forward to getting a new mac with this technolegy as a pc user for the last 5 years. The last time I owned a mac was when os9 was out, and I liked it a lot. But, I bought a pc since I was getting into gaming at the time. Now... when I used osx, its SOOOO much different and I have to learn a whole new os. Now that I've been using a pc for so long, I'm just used to it. I found it somewhat obtrusive to store pictures/videos with osx where on windows you can just throw everything in a folder. XP almost seems more user friendly to me now...

FWIW My main use of my pc is for internet, e-mail, aim, and occasionally photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Avid6eek said:
As for Linux...it sucks as a home OS, so I don't see why anyone would want to run it. While still making gains in the enterprise market, the market share of Linux is going nowhere.

Why is it? I ran Mandrake for a good 6 months with no real problems plus with the installation managers that they have like portage, URPMI and synaptic are awesome once you have an internet connection and TBH id love to have a feature like that hidden away in OSX so that power users can take advantage of it even if its for simple stuff like getting widgets or updates etc from www.apple.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.