Mountain Lion Finder search menu--recent files

Reaction score
I notice that the Mountain Lion Finder menu no longer allows you to search files by today, this week or this month. Is there a way to restore this search ability?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have a look at the suggestions here There are several suggestions for additional smart folder tips. The searches you are looking for are stored at /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches. You should be able to drag copies of them into the sidebar.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Copy the path shown by Slydude or do it from here - /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches.

Open Finder. On the Menu Bar at the top, Click on "Go To" and from the drop down menu select "Go To Folder". This opens a search box into which you should paste the path - /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches - and this will take you to the "Today, This Week, This Month" searches you are seeking.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks--found it but it won't let me drag the canned today, etc. searches to the sidebar--they keep popping back into place on the library list.

Reaction score
Got it!

Do as Ian suggests:

Open Finder. On the Menu Bar at the top, Click on "Go To" and from the drop down menu select "Go To Folder". This opens a search box into which you should paste the path - /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/CannedSearches - and this will take you to the "Today, This Week, This Month" searches you are seeking.​

Then, click on "Today". Click on "File" and choose "Add to Sidebar," or hit command-T.

When I did this, at first "Today" would only show icons. I want documents! So, click file again. Click "Find". A bar will appear at the top--you can add and modify search criteria to search for documents too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.