Help! Keyboard Backlit won't light up! Macbook Pro Unibody 15"

Reaction score
I tried changing the color of a small portion of my keyboard to the color red by putting a piece of theatre lighting gel under the keyboard backlit, and now my keyboard backlit will not light up. :/
Here are the specs of my computer:
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 15" (Early 2009)

Here is exactly what I did:
1. Removed Optical Drive.
2. Pulled up just the one end of the black protective covering (i've heard this is also the LED portion of the backlit) that sticks around and covers the keyboard and rolled it up and over the logic board. *note: I did not remove the logic board nor did I crease the black protective covering. The black covering did have some glue to the transparent plastic layer below it that I did unstick from the two layers.
3. I lifted up transparent plastic layer that was directly below the black protective layer and inserted a small strip of red theatre lighting gel (it's like a colored piece of transparency paper, but higher quality) and inserted it between the white layer that laid below the transparent plastic layer, and the clear plastic layer.
4. I re-stuck the black protective cover (maybe LED layer) back down to the edges around the keyboard.
5. re-installed optical drive.
6. Turned on Macbook Pro.
7. Found this when I tried to turn up backlit to keyboard:
ScreenShot2012-08-18at91529PM.png

Did I break the LED layer or accidentally pull away a cord from it's plug or something?
Please help me solve this problem! I need to see my keys in the dark!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have broke the very thin LED connection when you lifted up the end of the black protective covering. And, what was purchased from Powerbookmedic that the label was left in the machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
It could be as simple as going to system preferences and make sure the adjust keyboard in low light feature is disabled. I hope it might work :)

OP
K
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Interestingly, The backlit decided to work now, and have had not problem since.
Additionally, it may have been that I was trying the backlit during the middle of the day and the light sensor saw that it was already pretty bright out. Who knows!
Thanks for the advice guys!
Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Im glad my suggestion worked!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.