Printer Install Permission Issues

Reaction score
I'm having this issue and it's driving me nuts! I just purchased the NX430 EPSON all in one printer. It is compatible with my operating system, Mac Lion (10.7.4), which I upgraded to from 10.6 (and 10.5 before that). When I try to install the latest driver I get an error "you must have Admin user privileges to install the software." I am positive I am the admin and there shouldn't be privilege issues. I have researched and found a few suggestions: 1) I have done a repair permissions, 2) a repair disk, 3) I have tried to install using "sudo " in the command prompt, 4) set up a test users with admin writes. Nothing seems to work. I am hoping that someone on this forum has seen this error before and can help me install the drivers to use this printer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did you download the latest driver from? And didn't the Epson NX430 already come with a driver disk for Mac OS X? It almost sounds like you're trying to install a Windows driver for the printer and that's not going to work.

You should be able to use the install disk supplied by Epson (it has both Windows and OS X drivers on it) to install drivers. Then after the printer is installed, run software update and the latest correct driver (if there is one) will be downloaded and installed automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion search through Apple articles for drivers for your printer. For example mine TX550W, the drivers came with the operating system and are updated during software update automatically.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions.

I downloaded the drivers for my specific printer and for MAC 10.7 from the Epson website. They are very specific with instructions for Mac Lion. The same error happens when I install from the disk that came with the computer, that's why I went to get the latest driver from Epson.com.

I've read that there's something going on with permissions in the library (not sure if it's under system or USER) folder once I upgraded to 10.7. And then when the install tries to write to this folder it can't. Is that true? Any insight here?

harryb2448 - what do you mean by "search through Apple articles for drivers for your printer."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There may be a permissions problem with your Mac. (It's possible wrong permissions have been assigned to the user library) Boot to your Recovery Partition (command + R) and run Disk Utility. Select "Repair Permissions". When that's finished, reboot and try to install the Epson drivers once more from the Epson disk not the download. If the drivers install OK, run software update. Let us know if this works.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm an idiot. I don't have the install disk. I must have tossed it because I had the driver download. I tore up my house looking for it. I had already repaired permissions thru Disk Utility Recovery Partition (command + R) and tried running the driver install from the download and it still not working.

New update: I was able to install the driver from System Preferences -> Printers/Scanners and adding my printer by click the "+" sign and selecting it. However, now it doesn't print correctly. I get a blank page when printing a test page. I tried printing a PDF I had, and it looks like it's only printing the background (light blue color only, images, no fine detail). So it looks like the drivers are not installing correctly.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another update. The scanner works fine. Copier does not work.

Do you have this connected via USB and did you do a Software Update ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply OSXX. Originally I connected thru wifi, but now I have it connected thru USB and I'm seeing the same issues. I did do a software update and the EPSON printer was not one of the updates (unless I'm doing software updates incorrectly).

I did an alignment print test from the actual printer (prints out dots). The dots printed out pink and not they way they should have. So now I'm not sure if it's coming from the printer or if there is still something from the driver. If I do a print command from the printer, I wonder if it's still using the driver from the computer?

I moved over from HP so I would have to deal with printer issues!

OP
M
Reaction score
Issues with the printer. The nozzle heads were messed up. I ended up replacing the cartridges and the printer is working fine. Annoying b/c I just bought this printer a month ago. For anyone searching for a solution to this, here's what they sent me:

Title: First Time Driver Install on Mac OS X 10.7
Link: https://epson.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24013

Title: Setting Up Product on Mac OS X 10.8
Link: https://epson.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28310

Title: Installing Drivers After Mac OS X 10.7 Upgrade
Link: https://epson.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24012

Title: Installation Failed or Error 0x11 - Windows 7 64-bit
Link: https://epson.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23512

Title: Unable to Install Printer Driver on an Intel Core Duo Mac OS X 10.4
Link: https://epson.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13573

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.