Getting HD space back after deleting bootcamp partition?

Reaction score
I searched and didn't find anything that helped much. I'm sure someone here knows what to do.

I have a 13" MPB non-retina (month old), upgraded to ML that I installed win7 on via bootcamp. I decided parallels was what I needed so I installed it. After importing the win7 files to parallels I went to bootcamp assistant to delete the bootcamp partition. The partition is gone and doesn't show up as seperate hard disk but I never got the space back on the macintosh hd. It is still showing the same amount of free space as I had with the bootcamp partition (minus parallels and a couple other small programs). How do I get the space back that I had partitioned for bootcamp? I am currently booted in the recovery disk and erasing the free space but I don't think this is going to do what I want. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange. The BC assistant should have recovered the former Windows partition and integrated it back into the MacIntosh HD space.

What you can try is use the Recovery Partition Disk Utility to remove the Windows partition and then drag the MacIntosh HD partition separator to encompass the entire drive. Press apply and reboot.

Before attempting the above, make a cloned backup of your entire hard drive using software such as Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC also clones the recovery partition which is why I recommend using it.

OP
P
Reaction score
[QUOTE
What you can try is use the Recovery Partition Disk Utility to remove the Windows partition and then drag the MacIntosh HD partition separator to encompass the entire drive. Press apply and reboot..[/QUOTE]

Where in the Recovery Partition Disk Utility do I go to do this? I'm in the partition now (erasing the free space) and there isn't a bootcamp partition listed or anything to slide or drag to change the size of the mac hd.

OP
P
Reaction score
I found it and somehow got it it fixed but I'm not sure how. Thanks a bunch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, glad to hear you fixed it. By the way, there should be no need to erase free space unless you're preparing a machine to sell and wish to make sure all your private data has been erased.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.