Wifi: No Hardware installed

Reaction score
My Wifi Has been working and it just now comes up WiFi: No hardware installed

I turn the MBP off, pull the battery and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and it comes back until I let it sleep or sometimes it just disconnects and the signal strength meter goes blank and says "WiFi: No hardware installed" and I start over

Its been working fine for a couple of weeks (which is how long I've had it) and now this
doing this ......any body else had the same problem and resolutions

13" MacBook Pro 7,1
Mid 2010
2.66mhz Intel Duo Core
OS X 10.8 (Mnt Lion) clean Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This was also one of the wonky things I had experienced with Mountain Lion before going back to Lion recently. In fact, during the initial setup of ML it first recognized all of the wifi networks in my area, and because I was busy doing something else at the same time, it continued to rescan for networks. Eventually, it came up with no results at all, no matter how many times I went back a few steps. I had to continue without a network connection and simply turn wifi off and back on which would then solve the issue.

Doug

OP
T
Reaction score
I did a complete reinstall of OS X last nite and now the Wifi Indicator in the top menu doesn't even show up now. Not even "No Hardware Installed" shows up" I went into system report "Wifi" and it doesn't register a card at all. I'm thinking a bad card now. but why would it work after doing a shutdown and a soft boot ?

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay here's an update, I tried using FaceTime and no camera, did a little research and found out that the camera cord and WiFi card share the same connector. opened up the back and cleaned the contact and made sure it was seated correctly. I now have a camera back and wireless connection. Now the question is for how long. Also the wireless card is now registered in the System Report which it wasn't before

MBP 13 inch/ A1278
Mid 2010
2.26ghz
8mb/320gb

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I now have a camera back and wireless connection. Now the question is for how long.

Congratulations on getting things working!:) We do many times recommend to folks to simply take things apart & put it back together when something isn't working...and in this case...maybe the cleaning helped as well.

As far as how long will it last? Well...there's really no reason to believe that it won't last for years...but who knows...what will Apple's stock price be in 6 months???...who knows!;)

Enjoy the moment now that everything is working!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Resetting PRAM/NVRAM worked on Macbook Air

Got this problem with a Macbook Air. Solved it with PRAM/NVRAM reset. Odd, didn't expect it to work, but I always do routine maintenance before solving a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.