Airport card not connecting to network.

Reaction score
Hi all,
First let me apologies if this question has been asked before, and that i'm a bit of a noobie when it comes to macs and the hardware involved.

ok here is my issue, i recently was given an old 2001 imac here are the specs.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac
Machine Model: PowerMac4,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.5.0f4
Serial Number: QT307404P19

Airport details
AirPort:

Type: AirPort
Hardware: AirPort
BSD Device Name: en1
IPv4:
Configuration Method: DHCP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
Proxies:
Proxy Configuration Method: Manual
ExcludeSimpleHostnames: 0
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Auto Discovery Enabled: No

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 9.52
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

I have installed OS x 10.4.11

when i got it it did not have an airport card so i purchased one off ebay ( i know, i know...) Anyway, i installed it before doing the OS upgrades from 10.3 and the card would not even look for a network. i could not even get the Imac it to run proper software updates even with an ethernet cable connected.

I've since updated to 10.4.11 and have been able to update all the software and that seems to be all good now, however i cant connect to my home network. The airport card sees the network but will not connect. even though i know the password is correct as my wife's laptop (pc) and both our iphones are connected no problem.

now the card didn't come with any software, i was under the impression it didn't need any. am i missing something simple or have i been a fool???

any help would be amazing!!!

thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first question I always ask when I see someone posting with an airport card problem is...when you installed the airport card...did you connect the antenna wire into it?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The first question I always ask when I see someone posting with an airport card problem is...when you installed the airport card...did you connect the antenna wire into it?

- Nick

thanks nick, it was all connected properly, i have just now fixed it i read on an old forum post on here somene with a similar issue, it turns out the router security setting were to high for the age of my machine i changed them and im now on the air!!! thanks for ya help tho :D im one happy little monkey!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks nick, it was all connected properly, i have just now fixed it i read on an old forum post on here somene with a similar issue, it turns out the router security setting were to high for the age of my machine i changed them and im now on the air!!! thanks for ya help tho :D im one happy little monkey!

Sounds great! Wireless computer communications are awesome!!!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.