Can you disassociate an iPad from your ID without wiping it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb
I own an iPad 2 and I am selling it to my father in law. He has an apple id and I was wondering if its possible to just wipe my id off the machine and just sign it in as his and he can still use the apps on there or is it best to just return it to factory settings?

I am aware that when any apps on there now need updating it will ask for my log in details or can that be overcome?

I dont mind wiping it I was just trying to save time and I guess somebody may as well use the iPad specific apps I have paid for on there?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The apps you have are linked to the Apple ID used to download/purchase them. So you could pass it along to your father assuming you give him your Apple ID credentials as well. If not, when he switches Apple ID's, the next sync with iTunes will most likely cause all apps not associated with his Apple ID to be erased.

So your best bet is to restore the iPad to factory settings and have your father register his Apple ID and download the apps he wants. The association of apps is with your Apple ID and not the devices it runs on. So you can download/purchase an app with your ID and then sync them onto all of your iDevices and use them. But you cannot "share" those apps with others without giving them your Apple ID as well..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
So you could pass it along to your father assuming you give him your Apple ID credentials as well. If not, when he switches Apple ID's, the next sync with iTunes will most likely cause all apps not associated with his Apple ID to be erased.

That would suggest that if you attempt to sync two devices with different AppleIDs on the same iTunes user, or just one if you happen to use a different AppleID for your iPad and Mac , it will wipe apps from your device. Is that really the case? The warning which appears when you first set up apps for syncing on a particular device seems to say the iPad apps take priority and would wipe any apps from the iTunes library. So if you don't have apps in iTunes already surely it wouldn't cause problems.

There is obviously a potential licensing issue because keeping the old ID allows you to download the apps again free of charge.

I haven't been backing up apps having chosen to take the hit on re-download time for apps and content over the convenience of a local sync just doing a minimal backup but have been considering it. If you really can't mix AppleIDs this will make syncing far less convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Just restore it to it's original pristine condition and hand it over. Easy, I have done it twice with iPads I've given to relatives and twice with iPhones before giving them away as well. New owner uses his or her own Apple ID.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.