Need advice on buying a Mac

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a student and as part of my course need to learn about Iphone app programming. My course requirement says I need a Mac 10.7 OS and an Xcode simulator. I have 2 Dell laptops (windows OS) and wanted to know if I can install Mac 10.7 OS in windows PC or do I have to buy a Mac laptop? If Mac can be installed safely in windows PC, would I be successfull in app building? If buying is the only option then I wanted to get hold of an older version and upgrade it to 10.7 OS, considering my allowances are running :'(

Please help!!!!! I have never used or owned Mac before and my question may seem very basic...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

You cannot run OS X on non-Apple hardware. You will absolutely need to purchase a Mac to do what you want. You can run Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 on most Mac's after 2009 or so.

I just recently picked up a 2009 20" iMac for my daughter to get started her on from eBay and got a pretty good deal for it. You can probably spend less for a newer Mac Mini but that would require that you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse already.

Let us know what your budget is and we might make some more concrete suggestions.

Also check out the listings in eBay to get an idea of what your money will get you..

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums

You cannot run OS X on non-Apple hardware. You will absolutely need to purchase a Mac to do what you want. You can run Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 on most Mac's after 2009 or so.

I just recently picked up a 2009 20" iMac for my daughter to get started her on from eBay and got a pretty good deal for it. You can probably spend less for a newer Mac Mini but that would require that you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse already.

Let us know what your budget is and we might make some more concrete suggestions.

Also check out the listings in eBay to get an idea of what your money will get you..

-- Thanks for your response. My budget is around 200-300$ ( Maybe its very less for an apple product!) Do you think I can get any old model of Mac which can support 10.7 upgrade for this cost range?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For that budget, the Mac Mini might be your best bet. Perhaps one from the 2008-2009 era with the faster processors. I had a 1.83 GHz 2006 Mac Mini that I initially used for XCode development and with a supported maximum of 3GB of memory that thing was a little bit of a sloth when it came to performance..

When I upgraded to my i7 iMac with 12GB of memory it was like a day and night difference in performance..

But if budget is your driving force and you already have a LCD, keyboard and mouse you can use..then the Mac Mini will fit the bill I think..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.