I bought an iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I didn't need one and never really wanted one but after a visit to my local store where everything went hazy for 10 minutes and I turned into an excited child I went and bought a new iPad.

We already have an iMac and MacBook along with an iPhone and iPod touch, so my question is, what do we do with this thing now??!?!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use mine constantly (in fact I'm using it now to respond to your post). And, I have pretty much the same as you, except Mac Mini instead of iMac and gave away my iPod Touch.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I use mine for e-mailing, browsing, watching Netflix wherever I go, reading books..

I'm sure you can find some use for it, if not, you are still within the return period I'm sure to just give it back and spend the money elsewhere..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Use it for what you thought you bought it for its a convient way of surfing,email,photo viewing and apps that has the longest battery life of any iDevice while being portable enough and big enough not to induce eyestrain.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use it for what you thought you bought it for its a convient way of surfing,email,photo viewing and apps that has the longest battery life of any iDevice while being portable enough and big enough not to induce eyestrain.

+1

Just don't try to say that all I one breath. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I see you're in Wales - if you have Sky, check out all their apps - movies/TV on the go, remote control from you iPad, remote record.

Web browsing, email, Netflix, iPlayer, Spotify, Twitter, remote desktop to your Macs, photo viewing , editing, News and games. That's just from the stuff I use daily on the first page of my iPad.

Depends on your interests but have a look at:
Tweetbot
Flipboard
iPlayer
Paper
LogMeIN
Dropbox
Evernote
Spotify
Photosync
Photogene2
StreamToMe
IMDB
Fieldrunners2
iPhoto
Pages
iMovie
Chrome
Atomic Web Browser
VeVo
Netflix
4oD
Demand5
ITVPlayer
TVCatchUp
I think that'll do to be going on with.
When the first iPad came out I thought - big iPod Touch, not interested. I tried one in the Apple store and was immediately beguiled, but walked away. My good lady bought one for me as a birthday present. I've since replaced that with a new iPad. Now you'd need to prise the thing from my cold dead hands :)

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks everyone

Perhaps I should have worded the question differently. What do I do that I don't already use the other stuff for?

One thing I thought about was using it as a photo viewer when out in the field taking pictures but thanks to the biblically wet weather here at the moment haven't had a chance to do so yet.

Mrplow, I've got the sky go app on my phone and laptop so that's me maxed out there but thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You still want to look at sky cloud wifi and the sky + app

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone

Perhaps I should have worded the question differently. What do I do that I don't already use the other stuff for?

One thing I thought about was using it as a photo viewer when out in the field taking pictures but thanks to the biblically wet weather here at the moment haven't had a chance to do so yet.

Mrplow, I've got the sky go app on my phone and laptop so that's me maxed out there but thanks.

You can't do anything with your iPad and that you can't do with what you already have. Of course you can perform surgery with a razor blade instead of a scalpel and use an axe in place of a chainsaw.

It is all about convenience and user experience. If that doesn't matter or isn't better for you, then return it. You don't need an iPad.

Reaction score
I love my iPad, use it every day to surf forums like this one, watch Netflix & PBS. I love the camera & the ability to quickly edit & share pictures. The voice dictation is also amazing and the screen quality is top shelf. Congrats on your new toy :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I use my iPad when I'm too lazy to drag myself out of bed. Which is pretty much all the time. :p I also use it when I go out of the house where I know I'm going to have a lot of "free time." IE. shopping with the G/f. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone

This is almost true but you will not have to put it on the charger as quick as your other devices in case you have not tried it the thing will go 12+ hours before it quits.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This is almost true but you will not have to put it on the charger as quick as your other devices in case you have not tried it the thing will go 12+ hours before it quits.

Oh I don't know about 12+ hours. I get maybe 8, but that's with wifi, and screen brightness at 100%. :D

Reaction score
Ipad

I have a MacBook Pro and I've been thinking about getting an iPad. The reason I haven't gotten it yet is because I keep asking myself, why do I need it when I have the MacBook Pro? Would that be a waste of money? I am planning a trip to Thailand for Christmas and I thought the iPad might be more convenient, but is it worth the extra money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its great for on the go almost instant on and use besides being very portable and not having to charge as often as other devices and mirroring with an Apple TV3 is a plus when friends and family are over.

Reaction score
Ipad

Thanks, OSXX, for the insight. You've been very helpful in helping me make up my mind about the iPad. Think I will go for it.

Reaction score
Ipad

I bought an iPad a few months ago and really appreciated it, because of the weight, design and comfort. However when i"m at home PC's still better, because of the keyboard.

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

My daughter bought an iPad and she purchased an external keyboard, guess it's a regular keyboard such as the one on the Mac. She said the only problem with that, she has to transport both of them if she is going to use the keyboard. Something to consider.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The built in keyboard is probably the biggest drawback for me when using my iPad 3 on the road. If I had waited a bit before buying a case, I would have purchased the new Logitech BT keyboard and combo case with the magnetic locks same as the Apple model. For $99 it's certainly worth it. I may buy it yet if I get tired of the built in keyboard.

Reaction score
Ipad

"The built in keyboard is probably the biggest drawback for me when using my iPad 3 on the road. If I had waited a bit before buying a case, I would have purchased the new Logitech BT keyboard and combo case with the magnetic locks same as the Apple model. For $99 it's certainly worth it. I may buy it yet if I get tired of the built in keyboard."

That's my problem. I know I'll have trouble using the built-in keyboard. I tried it once in the store and it sucks. Maybe for the younger people, they may use it without any problems, but I can't. I may be able to get used to it, but I'm not so sure.

Thanks, chscag, for the reply and insight. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
The built in keyboard is probably the biggest drawback for me when using my iPad 3 on the road. If I had waited a bit before buying a case, I would have purchased the new Logitech BT keyboard and combo case with the magnetic locks same as the Apple model. For $99 it's certainly worth it. I may buy it yet if I get tired of the built in keyboard.

I got my wife this keyboard and she loves it. Well worth the money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.